Soap Actor's Suicide

Condo Board Member

Accepts NO Responsibility

1/29/2012 6:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0128_nick_Reg_02
A member of the condo board that Nick Santino said pressured him to euthanize his pit-bull -- a decision that drove him to suicide -- says the condo board is NOT responsible for his death.

Board member Marilyn Fireman says she is sorry that Santino is dead, but says it has nothing to do with the building's no-pet policy. She tells the NY Post, "You just assumed that [his suicide] was a result of a board’s decision."

Fireman did concede Santino routinely complained about the building’s anti-dog policies.

Santino's sister tells the paper the family is holding off on funeral arrangements until the dead dog's ashes are brought home ... saying, "They'll be buried together."

Santino had his beloved and healthy pit-bull Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday, Santino's 47th birthday. A few hours later, he overdosed on pills.

Frankie G

Lot of these folks who are suicidal are just looking for an excuse to pull the trigger. He has every right to kill himself but dont blame others for his actions.

Liz

Well, guess what Marilyn...you ARE responsible for the death of both Mr. Santino AND his beloved dog!! Karma's a bi#ch and so are you! You make me sick!!

Sherri

I am truely just sick about this. These people need to pay for thier actions. You do not harrass someone to the point that they feel they have no other choice. I truely hope that anyone that knows these monsters take a stand, make thier lives completely miserable like they did to this man. What the hell is wrong with people???? Mind your damn business and leave people alone, get a ****ing life. I have 4 dogs and they are like my children. I can not imagine the heartache this man must have felt,,,shameful all because of some losers that had nothing better to do in life,,,again Karma always comes. I hope he haunts the **** out of those responsible. AAGGGHHH so disgusted

Hank

You most certainly are responsible for having the dog put to sleep. If he had the dog before the rule being put in place he should have been able to keep it. Your ignorance when it comes to pitbulls is amazing you're an idiot. Hope you can sleep at night.

mpg

I'm sure Cesar Millan would have pleasantly accepted this dog. Especially knowing the story behind. It really upsets me that no family member or friend would help this guy by offering options. When you are really depressed your mind does not cooperate. No ideas come to you. It seems like your problems will only disappear if you're gone.

hung and dashing

I'm sure this guy was deep feeling and all. But its funny that people ask why he put his down down/to sleep when he put HIMSELF down/to sleep! I would think the first decision came after that second decision in his head. Many people who plan to die don't want to feel as though they've died alone. And his lack of utilizing a simple option (in light of the outcome) which was to move is very telling, too. He could have moved. Even if he felt there was some principle at stake, I'd think a healthy person would move before killing his dog and himself. And while its difficult to have a pit bull especially in a condo environment, what VET so readily agrees to put down a perfectly healthy animal without even trying to find it a home or hooking up its owner to some shelter or rescue specializing in a particular breed? You can just come in with a completely nice, healthy pet and say: Kill it! And the vet does? I dunno. Maybe. As for the condo board: I think they were probably heartless and relentless. But they seem to have been operating out of tremendous fear due to the breed. There are some horrible stories about pit bull attacks in apt and condo buildings. I doubt they'd have been so hard or even cared if it were a poodle. But that's the reality in trying to own a pit bull in a condo building. They're bound to be barred and otherwise voted off the island by the majority. That's why its weird he didn't MOVE if he wished to keep the dog freely. But he was probably suicidal anyway and this just sent him over the edge or gave him the excuse he needed to do what he did.

snowboardchick

Im sick and tired of people blaming others because one psychologically messed up person committed suicide. You know who is responsible for Santino's suicide? San friggen tino. People need to take responsibility for themselves. What is the complex supposed to do? Allow people to do whatever they want in their building because they "might" commit suicide? That's ridiculous. He could have moved. While I'm at it, Same thing goes for kids bullying other kids. Kids have been bullied since the beginning of time. You can't make or break someone's happiness. If someone is going to do something like that there are MUCH deeper issues than being bullied. I am sick and tired of everyone blaming everyone else for their problems.

Rhonda

I love my pet,too but a person has to have some serious issues to value the life of an animal more your own life. I'm thinking there was a lot more behind this suicide than anyone knows, or is telling.

Alex Porcaro

The guy killed himself because he let some bitch talk him into putting his dog down???? What a retard?!?!?!!? If he loved the dog so much, then maybe he could have moved residences?????? Moron

Robert Holland

I hope the property values plumet on this building and these horrid people lose all their money - how rude! Relax New York, take a breath.........

pensieve

I read his IMDb-the guy had been abandoned at an orphanage when he was 5 months old. It's terrible that after overcoming abandonment, putting himself through college and drama school, this guy still had much sadness. I don't understand depression, but it's a common mental illness and probably this guy didn't have many coping mechanisms. So sad.

Deweycheatemandhow

Some people are misinformed and/or not enough info is available at this time regarding the policy enactment and I have not read the do***ents, at least not yet-they are always very long and I read enough of those gigantic rules do***ents with my own cases, one being prepped for filing this week, where I only asked the H/O Assn and their atty at least 5X for the rules for months they claim they are relying upon to do the bad thing they are doing and I STILL don't have them, forcing the issue into court if my one more chance by midweek deadline. What are THEY hiding? From what I understand, and the same situation happened in every single one of the cases I have dealt with on no pets policies, the pet was there BEFORE the rules changed. Whether it is a co-op, condo, Homeowners' Assn, new Board, old board, new landlord, no pets at all, no Pit Bulls, no dogs over 30 pounds, cats only but no dogs...what they all have in common is they have to obey the laws on pets in rentals BEFORE, like here. It seems that in this case, the Board knew it could not boot Rocco based on the no pets/Pits rule so it moved on to other ways, such as claiming he was vicious. In other case, they claimed the dog yapped all day straight, peed in elevators, etc. (all disproven).

Deweycheatemandhow

I just posted something and it was funny but the three letters in the word do*&^ents, that is the slang for ejaculate, was removed. Although I usually just use "docs", I did not "spell" in my previous post this way.

CRAZYGIRL

This story breaks my heart!

Mayu

while sad, I don't think the no-pet policy drove anyone to commit suicide. You either shop around for a pet friendly place to live or you put the dog up for adoption. You don't have the dog put to sleep (provided the dog was medically in good shape and was not vicious) and then kill yourself... simply because your apartment doesn't allow pits. It's very sad, and my heart goes out to the family, but there has to be more to his decision to both put the dog down and then take his own life other than, "the Condo board won't allow him to stay".