Don Cornelius

Ex-Wife Scores Huge

Life Insurance Payout

2/1/2012 1:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Viktoria Chapman Cornelius
Don Cornelius
died with 2 life insurance policies worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the ex-wife he hated will get all the money ... TMZ has learned.

Don's breakup with Viktoria Chapman Cornelius was brutal. He was convicted of domestic abuse and, according to him, she pepper sprayed him multiple times.

During the divorce in 2009, Don said in legal docs obtained by TMZ, 'I am 72 years old. I have significant health issues. I want to finalize this divorce before I die."

The divorce was indeed finalized later that year, but there's a provision in the settlement agreement that says Don must make Viktoria the beneficiary of both of his life insurance policies -- totaling around $300,000 in benefits.

Under California law, if a policyholder commits suicide within 2 years of the time the policy is issued, the company can deny payment. But Don had the policy for more than 2 years, so Viktoria -- the woman he despised -- will get the loot.

sandiego_breeze

How old is Don Cornelius ex-wife...what was the age difference?

Big Taters

His money SHOULD go to his victims - so this seems right.

Superman

I've always heard suicide was not covered by life insurance. California is messed-up! From the life insurance business side, their desire is to keep you alive and keep you paying monthly fees. Life insurance companies would go bankrupt if a bunch of people committed suicide (or an alleged suicide) so their family could be rich.

Urs

Actually, depending upon the type of policy, there can be a payout after two years in the event of suicide. I think it only applies to life insurance and not accidental death insurance, though. That's what I gathered when I was shopping for life insurance.

Marianne

Hmmmm... That being the case, maybe they need to look closer at the case.... Suicide or murder ... Seems like plenty of motive to me.

Sincerity

I'm very sorry to hear about his suicide but it was Don Cornelius' choice to marry that woman. Whatever she's entitled to collect for "FREAKING" with that Ole Geezer -- SHE EARNED!!! He should have kept her "STRICTLY" as a mistress rather than marrying her. Once she realized he wasn't going to "TAKE THE BAIT", she would have moved the HELL ON to another "TRICK DADDY"!!! MEN "NEVER" LEARN!!! THE "LITTLE" HEAD DOES THEM IN "EVERY" TIME!!!

Steinberg

DON CORNELIUS IS SAVING BLACK CULTURE YOU GUYS!!!

RAISE THE ROOF FOR DON JUAN CORNELIUS!

Damon

Hope that gold digging skank gets nothing!

Kurt5

He was a fool for marrying her. Why would a beautiful white woman marry his ugly old black ass unless it was for money?

hung and dashing

After reading through these comments it sounds as though a ton of people are suddenly contemplating suicide in 2014.

Gill Grylls

I own Google, Apple and soon facebook stock as well as run my own company and goldigging women is main reason I will NEVER EVER marry. I enjoy living life the way I want. Rich guys.....dontget married! These golddiggers just want free cash to show off and make others feel less worthy of life.

karen

From the way it sounds I do not think that he killed himself at all. I think it was a set up by his estranged younger wife. I was watching wavy 10 in virginia and the story they aired stated he was shot in his upper chest area not his head. Think about it if he wasnt in a good place with his ex-wife why would he put not one but two policies in her name and also he was in his mid 70's and he had major health issues which mean his life span probably wouldnt be that long. I'm sure he knew this since he stated "I want a divorce b/f I die". Doesnt sound right to me. I hope the cops are investigating this.

Pdd3517

The Suicide Clause in an insurance policy states that no monies will be paid out during the first two years of the policy if the insured commits suicide. Unless of course the policy has a Suicide Exclusion clause to the policy. If you have a policy, check the Suicide Clause and see if it is a two year hold or if it's excluded.

Gretel

Hey, wait a minute! All you hear about him is "black culture, black culture, etc." Then he turns out to be just another rich black guy with a piece of white on his arm. So much for your "culture" What's up with these stupid successful black men who go for these gold-digging white women? Don't they know it is simply an outward display of stupidity and narcissism? Agree with me or not, but if I was a black woman I'd be pissed.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

every blackmans dream is too marry a white woman..he got his dream and she gets the money and yes insurance pays out after 2 years on suicides..read your policies u idiots