Whitney Houston

Dead at 48

2/11/2012 10:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0212_whitney_houston_gurney_EXWhitney Houston died this afternoon ... a rep for the singer announced. She was 48.

Our sources tell us a member of Whitney's entourage found her in her 4th-floor room at the Beverly Hilton hotel ... and called hotel security -- who then dialed 911. When paramedics arrived Houston was found unresponsive.

We're told police arrived to the scene within minutes and fire was already there on an unrelated call. According to our sources, paramedics performed CPR but it did not work and she was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM.

Our sources say there were no obvious signs of foul play, but BH PD detectives have begun a full investigation. We're told she was ID'ed by family and friends.

L.A. County Coroner Ed Winter told our photog at 7:09 PM that it is too early in the investigation to tell what happened (see below).

video platform video management video solutions video player
0211_ed_winter_video
The singer famously battled drug addiction for years (see related links below).

Houston was seen out in Hollywood Thursday night for a Grammy party ... and she did not look well (below). She even briefly took the mic and performed a song while she was there -- what would become her last performance. See the video here.

0211_whitney_gsiHouston won two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards during her record-breaking career. Her album "Whitney" was the first female album to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Charts. She has sold 200 million albums worldwide.

Houston had one child, Bobbi Kristina, with husband Bobby Brown. Houston and Brown were married from 1992-2007.

0211_rememebring_whitneyupdate_bar
Sources tell TMZ, Whitney Houston "partied heavily" last night at the Beverly HIlton hotel where she was staying, drinking and chatting loudly with friends in the bar -- but Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick claim the singer sounded fine just hours before her death.

We're told Bobby Brown is distraught over Whitney's death -- going "in and out of crying fits." His band New Edition tells us, they are "shocked and saddened."

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party -- which Whitney was supposed to open -- is going on as scheduled this evening, though Clive will not be in attendance.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, police are currently seeking a search warrant to investigate the hotel room where Whitney was found dead. One item they'll be looking out for -- drugs.

tukai

Who is the lady leading her out?

j0dy

As I reached the highest step I extended out my arms and selfishly cried "Come back with me, this time we will not let you fall!" she smiled, took a step back and whispered "I have no worries about falling .....I will never fall again!"

RCK

If you play with fire the expect the consequences that come with it. Drugs kill talent.

RCK

A great singer Whitney Houston may have been, but in retrospect she has joined the many others who thought drugs came first. If these so called super stars had any common sense they should be advocating no drugs and set an example. I can only say she died at her own wish by shear stupidity.

denise

Whitney, I will always love you. We all go through trials and tribulation. Whitney it does not matter what people are saying you are now at peace and in God's hands. You will have the peace you have been seeking. Love you very much and I will pray that your daugther get help to strengthen her, it is hard losing a "MOM". I will pray for your family that God comfort them in these sad times. Love Whitney.

whitney houston

ola chicas y chicos nose lamenten x mi no mori sigo en sus corazones los quiero desde el cielo los miro

claudemir oliveira

ME SINTO MUITO TRISTE COM O ACONTECIDO MEU CORAÇÃO SANGRA COM A PARTIDA DE UMA DIVA ,TANTOS POLITICO CORRUPTOS PELO O MUNDO ELES SIM DEVIRIAM MORRER , NÃO PESSSOAS MARAVILHOSAS COMO WHITNEY..SAUDADES

gerald cole

may the lord bless her. shes not the only one to die in the line of stars. shes in a better place heaven with that voice

Carlos

The planet was without voice, good-bye, sing for the angels..
I am Brazilian, on that moment I am just tears...

Carlos

The planet was without voice, good-bye, sing for the angels..
I am Brazilian, on that moment I am just tears...

KakaGano

She will be missed.
Here in Tanzania, East Afrika many lamented due to her sudden death. Her voice is supper sensational, I will be always Loving her...

I wonder who those condemning and accusing her for the fate she encountered. I believe Ku Klax Klan still exist in our ages. They laugh to you because of the gains they from you, but if of no use your then dead stone...
Preach peace and not hate

Joanne Franklin

You would think everyone would be an adult and allow Bobby to come to the funeral for his daughter if for no other reason. I am sure Whitney is looking down at everyone wondering why they are bickering.

mary jane celos

RIP! IDOL WHITNEY HOUSTON..:(

selyna

Was a good singer...

armie martinez

oh my idol..i awe my adolescent years....tour songs awakes a part of heart and my...my love life are all part of tour songs..i will miss u so much...i love you whitney i'll be missing you..how i wish to see your wake...

Previous 15 Comments | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments