Whitney Houston

Dead at 48

2/11/2012 10:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0212_whitney_houston_gurney_EXWhitney Houston died this afternoon ... a rep for the singer announced. She was 48.

Our sources tell us a member of Whitney's entourage found her in her 4th-floor room at the Beverly Hilton hotel ... and called hotel security -- who then dialed 911. When paramedics arrived Houston was found unresponsive.

We're told police arrived to the scene within minutes and fire was already there on an unrelated call. According to our sources, paramedics performed CPR but it did not work and she was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM.

Our sources say there were no obvious signs of foul play, but BH PD detectives have begun a full investigation. We're told she was ID'ed by family and friends.

L.A. County Coroner Ed Winter told our photog at 7:09 PM that it is too early in the investigation to tell what happened (see below).

video platform video management video solutions video player
0211_ed_winter_video
The singer famously battled drug addiction for years (see related links below).

Houston was seen out in Hollywood Thursday night for a Grammy party ... and she did not look well (below). She even briefly took the mic and performed a song while she was there -- what would become her last performance. See the video here.

0211_whitney_gsiHouston won two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards during her record-breaking career. Her album "Whitney" was the first female album to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Charts. She has sold 200 million albums worldwide.

Houston had one child, Bobbi Kristina, with husband Bobby Brown. Houston and Brown were married from 1992-2007.

0211_rememebring_whitneyupdate_bar
Sources tell TMZ, Whitney Houston "partied heavily" last night at the Beverly HIlton hotel where she was staying, drinking and chatting loudly with friends in the bar -- but Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick claim the singer sounded fine just hours before her death.

We're told Bobby Brown is distraught over Whitney's death -- going "in and out of crying fits." His band New Edition tells us, they are "shocked and saddened."

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party -- which Whitney was supposed to open -- is going on as scheduled this evening, though Clive will not be in attendance.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, police are currently seeking a search warrant to investigate the hotel room where Whitney was found dead. One item they'll be looking out for -- drugs.

Joylene

I'm so sorry,the dead of Whitney Huston cause she also one of my favorite artist when i was 11yrs old...

joylene...

Brenda70821

Clive DAVIS you stink and you are akiller

Brenda70821

the very ideal of you getting on nathional tv clive davis saying you love whithney vvery much you dont know what love is you wants to control peoples lives their money body and soul. well i got news for you wipe off that hodo spell that has been placed on your ass

Brenda70821

i was told to comment on my negative behavior toward mr clive davis everthing i have said is just gossip and i applogize for acusing you for being a killer because i have no ideal of the thruth i have children of my own and i dont want anyone to hurt my children because of my negative sick behavior a great source told me to aplogize to you and i am deeply sorry please forgive me

Brenda70821

we are all down here in louisiana upset terribly about whithney dead iam changing my tune please forgive me for spreading rumors about such a fine man as mr clive davis iam a 60 year old lady with nothing to do but spread rumors and dont bit no what happen did a man in the moon please forgive me mr clive davis

roger

I'm sad that she passed on I liked it so much,I'm a fan of hers to her songs are still beautiful and exciting

LINDA LOU

Gone much to soon. Life is precious but much too short. I am glad she graced this world with her presence. RIP!!!!!!

maria elizabeth schultz rodrigues

E uma pena perder pessoas como vcs.

Kesa

Ms. Houston is gone now, and what her family and friends need to do is help Bobbi Kristina deal with the lost of her mother. While it's never easy dealing with the lost of a parent or any loveone for that matter, life does go on for those of us left behind. This young lady carried a tremendous burden. She desperately tried to protect her mother from self harm and embarassment( see Whitney at the Prince Concert and observe how tightly Bobbi Kristina holds her mother- an obviously effort to keep Whitney from approaching the stage and embarassing herself - which she did). I would also image that Bobbi Kristina, as a small child, was a spectator of domestic violence. Having two addicted parents, one of which admiited mental illness (Bi-polar), and living your life in the public is extremely difficult for anyone. You add all of that together along with limited coping skills, and you have an opening to the world of drugs and alcohol.

I pray that this young woman gets the help that she needs.

Teresa Gross

Whitney is my Icon, and I have been told by many in previous years that we look alot alike. Since her passing, I hear it at least 4 to 5 times a day now and it just saddens me so much that we look alike but I will never get the chance to meet her in person. I miss you Whitney!!!!!

justlivin

It isn't everyday that an icon is born. Whitney Houston was blessed with the voice and she transcended contemporary, pop and soul music to a level that has not yet been duplicated nor will it ever be done the way she did it. While Whitney Houston stumbled in her personal life, I'll give her is: she stood until the end and held on to God's unchanging hand. We will always love you, Whitney. RIP

robert

rip whitney.

rizwana

shame 4 many singers to die of drugs & aids.i hope i can meet the other singers before they die to of other desease.like celine dion i reelly want to meet her an fam.

TJuan Davis

The Illuminati's are very powerful in there Numbers and we all know they have something to do with it! She was dead at 355 pm and she was Born August 9 1963 at 8:55 pm Get out of here and why did they take are Diva?

flavia

SENTIREI SAUDADES DA LINDA VOZ
BJS

Previous 15 Comments | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments