'Idol' High School Dropout

I'm Going Back to School!

2/15/2012 4:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

American Idol castoff Travis Orlando is going back to school.
"American Idol" castoff Travis Orlando -- who dropped out of high school last year to focus on singing -- is going back to school ... and TMZ has learned, it's all thanks to an "Idol" camera operator.

Travis was voted off the show last week -- and sources tell TMZ, after he gave his goodbye interview, the camerawoman inspired him to go back to school and get his GED.

In case you missed Travis' audition -- the 18-year-old detailed his turbulent home life in the Bronx, claiming his mother walked out on him and his cancer-stricken father. They have since been evicted from their apartment and now live in a shelter.

But sources tell us, the camerawoman who helped conduct Travis' final interview told him not to give up on his education -- saying, "You have lost so much. You don’t want to lose even more by not finishing school."

We're told Travis took her words to heart -- and has since enrolled in the Adult Learning Center at Lehman College in the Bronx. His classes -- which will eventually earn him his GED -- start next month.

update_bar
We're told Travis' dad is currently in remission.

Jackie

Cool...Education is important even if you have a talent.

AMY

LOOKS BAD

Binary Plan

The Given information is very effective
I will keep updated with the same

PokerStar

Education is the key people. Singing is about #1,497 on the list.

cindy

@ Jay...What's with all the rude comments? High school is the first step, then hopefully college, and beyond.

Congratulations to you and your doctorate..woopdeedoo. Having a heart is worth more and you are obviously lacking.

education_should_be_free

Tell Travis he can get an FREE GED at www.theweu.com World Education University is offering FREE education to the world!! No gimmicks, no loans and no one will call you.

NC

Kristen

I was surprised and sad to see him cut. He has talent, for sure. I'm glad to see him doing something positive with his life. Education is so important. Good luck Travis! Remember, everything happens for a reason...your destiny was not AI this year;)

tickles

I am sad reading some of the comments being made about Travis.
As one who saw his audition last year and this year I was very impressed by his talent and sad he was cut in Hollywood week.
He is little more than a child and caught up in a horrible situation due to no fault of his own. I would imagine being 16/17 and homeless with a very ill father and a younger brother to watch out for is very hard. His mother walked out on them after the dad got cancer. Instead of going to school, hanging out with his buddies and having a good time as most teenagers are he is trying to step up and help his dad and little brother the best he can.
I wish only the best for Travis and wish he would have made the top 12 on American Idol this season. He is very cute and has a nice voice. I would have voted for him!!
Good luck in your future Travis.

Jeff Patterson

Smart choice getting your GED, I dropped out, joined the Army at 17, got my Ged before I would have even graduated from high school and never looked back. There a lot of haters out there that think a GED is crap, but it does wonders for your self-esteem, and that is the key to your future.

Jeff Patterson

This comment is for Jay: I am one of those people that you so eloquently denigrate. I give you big time kudos for your college degrees. The problem I have is that with all that education, you are obviously intellectually challenged. How did you accomplish that? I remember taking that GED test at Aberdeen Proving Grounds at 17 years old and the feeling I had when I passed it was priceless. I also worked my way through college, but unlike you, I did it while serving my country. You, my friend, could not wipe my GED butt as far as intelligence goes, and I know that your wife is looking for a REAL man behind your back. Don't even bother to reply to this post, it will just highlite how stupid you really are. Anybody can get a college degree, even dumbasses like you.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2