Dolly Parton

I Didn't Mean to Diss Whitney

'I Will Always Love You' Is OURS

2/17/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_dolly_parton_ex
Dolly Parton
is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

Dolly adds, "My heart is with Whitney and her family as they lay her to rest ... I Will Always Love You."

Dolly's original version of the song was released in 1974. Whitney famously covered the track in 1992 for "The Bodyguard."

dreamon

Why should she apologize? It was her song and Whitney snubbed Dolly years ago by refusing to sing it with her at the Oscars. Dolly is just showing some class.

Without that song, whitney was a good singer who never had any good material.

mebrat24

Is this a TMZ making up a story, I googled this and your the only one that is making this a story. More bull**** from tmz.

char

What's Dolly got to apologize for? Dolly wrote the song and recorded it. The first time I heard the song was Dolly singing it. Dolly will make money because she wrote it. I'm sure Whitney made money recording the song too and singing it in the movie. I liked the song being sung by both of them. Just because Whitney sang it later and in a popular movie doesn't mean it's her song. The National Anthem isn't Whitneys song even though she probably sang it better than anyone in years. This is silly.

Truth

DOLLY'S ORIGINAL VERSION SUCKED ASS... WE ALL KNOW THAT. IT BARELY REGISTERED ON THE DECIBEL SCALE. WHITNEY'S MADE IT A HIT WITH HER VOCAL ARRANGEMENT WHICH DOLLY DID NOT DO. VOCAL ARRANGEMENT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT IN THE SUCCESS OF A SONG, DESPITE THE LYRICS. PRODUCERS AND RADIO PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING. CERTAIN VOCAL ARRANGERS ARE EXPERTS IN RELAYING FEELINGS OR EMOTIONS THAT MAKE FANS GRAVITATE TOWARDS IT AND MAKE IT A HIT. OTHERS WHO DONT HAVE THIS SKILL SCORE MOTH BALLS REGARDLESS HOW MANY SONGS YOU'VE WRITTEN. WHITNEY WAS ALWAYS LISTED AS "VOCAL ARRANGER" AND/OR EXEC PRODUCER ON ALL HER ALBUMS AND SOUNDTRACKS. POINT BLANK, PERIOD! #TRUTH!!

Miamimimi

@ ZRGB there is no need to bring race into the argument.

Miamimimi

Personally I thought that Withney overworked the song DOLLY WROTE AND HAD A HIT WITH. There was never any need to "embellish" it with (even)longer notes. If you hear it performed at Glee, that is the way to do it.
I hope Whitney rests in peace and that her family find some rest in the fact that she is now in a better place.

Gill

I first heard Dolly's version of the song before Whiteney's. I thought whitney was fantastically talented and loved the bodyguard however, it is dolly's song, Whitney did a brilliant version but it was dolly who wrote the words and the melody, credit were credits due x

courtney

uhh sorry I don't care who made it famous it is Dolly Partons song she wrote it and sang it first, duh. Whitney Houston could not have made the song famous if Dolly Had not wrote it.

Kimba

Aaah geez, DOLLY wrote it, DOLLY had a hit with it first. Whitney merely covered it. YES, she did it beautifully, and we will always remember it; but she DIDN'T write it! And, WHY IN THE WORLD should Dolly, or Clive or anybody else give up their rights to the song merely because crackhead addict Whitney mixed too many substances and drowned in the bathtub? PLEASE stop acting like this is a horribly sad tragedy. It is horribly sad, however, it was very predictable. Dolly, Clive, et.al. owe NOTHING to Whitney's estate or memory. Certainly not a donation to Whitneys favorite charity, which I would be willing to bet would be...Whitney's drug habit!!

Jane

It IS Dolly's song. She has no reason to apologize.

mary

it is dollys song and she helped whitney be famous, by letting her sing the song. without dolly whitney would not be famous for that song. why do people want to take away from dolly, since it wouldnt exist without her .

jabby

Dolly - you wrote the song so don't apologize. Whitney didn't even want to sing the song. Kevin Costner introduced the song to her and told her to sing it. If it weren't for Dolly and Kevin, no one would be having this debate. RIP

janet

It's Dolly Partons song. She wrote, sung it and recorded it. I always liked hers better. It was heartfelt. NO DISRESPECT WHATSOEVER.

Houston got permission to record the song with a different rendition and it allowed Houston to belt it out and it worked. If Parton didn't write it in the first place, Houston wouldn't have her theme song.

Typer51

This is kind of lame. The songwriter and publisher (of which Dolly is both) owns the song. That's why she is going to make millions off of the resurgance of Whitney's cover-version. Dolly owns it - and get's to say it's hers.

Mayu

its not really a diss... it is HER song. Whitney may have made it famous, but she didn't write it and wasn't the first to perform it... so it technically isn't Whitney's song.