Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Michael Jackson jr

NOt to be an ass, but WHO THE HECK WAS THIS GUY? At least I knew who Whiteny Houston was. But anyways rip

Linda

He sure made alot of hearts go pitter patter in his life. He was a handsome funny man and will be missed by all of us fans...condolences to his family.

morekare

How very sad. May he RIP.

shall

I was so in love with him. He will be missed dearly

Randy1863

RIP Davy loved your songs and the show!!! One of the best.

Kerensa

I saw Davy at BB kings and he looked wonderful. He was my inspiration to write for 16 magazine. The Monkees were my childhood and a part of me has died today too. It is so sad. I am still in shock.

Brenda

RIP Davy jones...You will be missed by many...

JOHN FOTI

I MET MICKEY DOLENZ BACK IN 1972.....HE WAS A VERY GRACIOUS GUY. I ASKED HIM ABOUT DAVY AND ALL OF THE GUYS. PETER AND MIKE.
HE WAS VERY GRACIOUS TO ME...AND TOLD ME THAT THEY HAD ALL GONE THEIR SEPERATE WAYS.
I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO RUN INTO HIM, ONCE AGAIN AT DISNEYLAND, A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER AND SPEAK TO HIM.

THEY WERE "VERY" COOL AND DOWN TO EARTH.
LUCKY TO HAVE MET ONE OF THEM.
R.S.I.P. DAVEY. YOU BROUGHT MUCH JOY TO OUR LIVES. JOHN.

mark

I am sorry to hear this news. As I get older all the people from my generation seem to be dying.

Carl Magrath

I am now 60,when I first heard of The Monkees, I never knew they were fabricated,didn't matter,bought their LP's,45's and EP's. I watched their movie HEAD over 20 times. Great times in those days, unlike todays crass hits, you could actually sing-a-long to the words.

RIP Davy, missed but not forgotten.

Due North

R.I.P.
Poor Davy. Sad to say I'm not totally surprised, considering that Davy was a walking time bomb. Like so many other North American males, overweight, a poor diet, limited exercise, indulgences, lack of sleep and daily stress was more than his broken heart could take. From an interview I saw on Dr. Phil, Davy was joking it up; with regard to arguments with his wife “I always have last word…Yes, dear”

j scaran

nicest guy i saw him a few years back, im 52 grew up watching him on the monkee's no doubt an icon a sad day today

buxxy

You were the best...the Monkeys were fun and for kids at that time it was the best having great songs to sing on vacation while your poor father was trying to read the map and drive and the same time and your mother was telling all of us to shut up. Ah, those were the days....

Susan

I have been in love with Davy since I was 10 years old. I'm now 56. This is such sad news. My prayers and deepest condolences are with his family. Saw Davy perform live three times and he was incredible each time. What a true showman! He gave his all and truly appreciated his fans.

Kathie

RIP Davy, you were my heart throb when I was a teen,The Monkees was my first concert. Thanks for the memories.

Previous 15 Comments | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments