Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Kathie

RIP Davy, you were my heart throb when I was a teen,The Monkees was my first concert. Thanks for the memories.

jeff

"The rock group down the street is tryin' hard to learn this song". Pleasant Valley Sunday and Steppin' Stone are my 2 favorites. "Another Pleasant Valley Sunday, here in status symbol land"! "Rows of houses and they're all the same and the kids don't seem to understand". Music lives forever.

Cathy

So, so sad. Davy was my first celebrity crush. The Monkees created my love for music. God Bless you Davy.

Dari

Are you guys serious with that photo of him? Show a little respect, Jesus.

king biscuit boy

It wasn't the drugs that got him....but he did have a severe addiction to bananas.

Neil

Here is an online memorial to Davy (you can send virtual flowers or light a virtual candle for free) http://www.memorialmatters.com/memorials.php?page=DavyJones

coronacotter

I am very saddened by this news. The Monkeys made my life as a teenager bareable. At one time or another I had a crush on at least one of them. Every once in a while I will bring out their albums and just daydream of sweet youth. Thank you for many years of good music and funny TV shows. Kind of depressing knowing my generation is starting to die out. My heart goes out to his family.

Jennifer

RIP Davy... My thoughts & prayers to family & close friends. This was very sad & shocking to read. He was probably my biggest Jr.High School crush that lasted so long. A very talented man that will be missed by many. Never missed the show back in the day & had my share of albums. He left for me very pleasant memories of an innocent time in life. Thank you Davy, Micky, Peter & Michael for that special time in our lives.....

ruby

you are going to be missed i glad i got to go to your concert in arizona i loved your music and you on the monkeys. RIP MISS YOU

rick dumesnil

so sad.....each time a singer from the sixties leaves us a piece of me goes too....there will be no more original beatles...beach boys....dave clark five...lovin spoonful...mamas and papas cowsills ect....loved the monkees they did on tv screen what beatles did in their movies. davey jones was small....but he had grandiose charsima. im sad

justjoan

from what I have read about his wife and their history,they really need to do an autopsy.sad to say but true.just google her name jessica pacheco-jones. his daughters and band mates didn't attend the wedding.she had a history of abusing him. If this happened to a woman and the man had this history they would investigate it!

Phillina

I can't believe that Davy is gone! As a true Monkee fan, and a true believer of god, He will be missed. His years of hard work,making us laugh, and love, and now making us cry. He's with God,and reunited with mother and father. RIP David, instead of bluebird wings he's underneath, he's under golden wings of God.

Daniel Asamota

Okay, this death is very strange. He just all of a sudden drops dead not a good year after he's married to a younger woman? This stinks of fish and if the sheriff in Miami has half a brain, he'll be looking into this one before his wife can have him cremated(which I'm sure she's rushing to do even now!)

Michele Heeder

Good night Sweet Prince, May Flights of Angels sing thee home. Davy was my first love, I am devastated. RIP

miller

Any way you slice it Davy was one cool guy. You can really hear the sincerity in some of his personal quotes. And moreover you can hear the sincerity in the condolances (in the vast majority) of people posting here on the TMZ message boards.

Previous 15 Comments | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments