Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

victor windsor

I was at the Hollies show this weekend in South Africa and they actually metioned the Monkees and said what a great bad they were, sad that all our great singers and musicians are leaving us.

karen strahl

I used to dream about Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz, et all. breaking down in front of my house. I fantasized about that boy. Hard to believe that just 2 weeks ago he was doing a show, now he's gone. Very sorry to hear about that. I've never posted any comment before, but he deserves it.MY wish is that the family left behind are thriving on the millions he must have made. He seemed like a good guy. CHEER UP SLEEPY JEAN, OH WHAT CAN IT MEAN TO A DAY DREAM BELIEVER AND A HOMECOMING QUEEN?? i LOVE THAT GUY.

Sandra

This sad news brought a flood of memories that go with the dynamic of being a young teen in the Beatle Era. I lived close to the studios in Hollywood, (the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Gower), where the Monkees show was filmed. All four were the nicest young guys. They would come out from filming, greet their fans and sign autographs. Their music exemplifies Classic Pop of the 60's. It is heartwarming to see that Davy was still singing the Monkees hit songs of their time. His voice was still as charming as nearly 50 years ago. R.I.P., Sweet Lad.

Melissa

I was and still am a very big fan. Davey you will be missed. May you rest in peace.

Rick

I auditioned for Oliver immediately before him in New York, so many years ago. I sang "With a Little Bit O' Luck", so did he. I watched him from the back of the theatre and knew immediately that I had no shot. He won the Antoinette Perry Award that year. He absolutely killed the audition. Always seemed to be a good guy, RIP Dave.

aprilmosherchapman

Wow, mortality just slapped me in the face. Condolences to his wife and children. Your dad was many young girls heart throb.

David DRAKE jR

Davey was a great singer and paformer as well also a very loving dad also he will be greatly missed by all of his fans and all who followed the Monkeys he was my fravorite monkey as all were thanku Peter Michel and Mickey as all were my favorite group

steve

like all monkees fans, im sick and heartbroken about it.
only 66! how does mike nesmith feel? peter tork? mickey dolenz? i was 12 in 1966 - watched the tv series all 3 seasons
1966-1967-1968. may you rest in peace in daydream believer land, brother. sad!

Bronwynn Gordon

So shocked when earlier I read about Davy!As a little girl I was secretly nuts about him!!Always loved The Monkeys!Weird as not long ago saw him on stage on the recent tour and commented that if I didn't go may never see!!I was able to get hold of spare tickets as someone couldn't go and that was all very last minute!! I am so glad I saw them now!! So very sad as so very special and played a big part in my life as from aged 7 til now in my 50s always loved and played their songs!!Still I'm not a Believer!!Too young!!Lovely man!!Spoke to an old guy who had waited to see them arrive and he said Davy gave him loads of time,so kind and down to earth.Always in our Hearts Davy!!

loveskats

i guess if you dont die a junky you get less coverage
rip davy

jmac

It's been said sooo many times on today on the reader comments. Girls were in love with Davy in the late 60's! I remember playing house with my girlfriends when I was 10 or 11 years old, and Davy Jones was always my imaginary husband! What a sweet treasure! RIP xox

Rachy

we loved you Davy!!!!! I wish I wouldve saw you last summer in milwaukee :(
RIP You are up in Heaven!

Rosinha Viegas

I'm from Brazil but have been travelling to the USA for the past 19 years just to see the guys on tour and last time I met Davy was in June 2011 in NY and VA... he was in great shape and put on a great concert... it's hard to believe... RIP, Davy... love ya!

Bonnie

Saw him in concert last year and he was awesome!
He lived here in FL

Mary E

Sweet Sweet Davy, I had your poster over my bed as a young
girl dreaming to be Marsha Brady and go to my Prom with you...
Good times, good times, say hello to Whitney for us...xo

Previous 15 Comments | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments