Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Peg

I was shocked when I heard the news of Davy's death. I was so in love with him when I was a kid...bought all their records and even had my hair cut like his. Please rest in peace, Davy. My sympathies to all his family, friends and fans. You'll always be remembered and loved!

Rodriguez

my friend's ex-wife makes $65 every hour on the laptop. She has been without work for eight months but last month her pay was $21260... just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more here Lazycash15.com

Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh

to davy, my english hanuman

RIP DAVY JONES

when you were a simple monkey
asked to deliver a single bud,
you brought a field of asian amber flush.
your unbridled devotion
thrust you to monkey god.

now, you divinely intervene
and bring me messages of him.

i find him in a soup kitchen
baking apple bread in a
t-shirt depicting two quarreling
monkeys captioned,
“double talk.”

he loves me and focuses on
monkees rerun marathons
late into the night preserving
our chaste, intimate love.
tonight’s virgin viewing is
in your honor
and cinematic eulogy,
davy.

humming your swanee river,
i shiver with relief that
my heart no longer attacks.

for the anthem bouquets
of my youth.

dreamon

I had the pleasure of working with him on a show a couple of years ago. He was sweet, kind very generous with fans and press. Still super cute too!

You'll be remembered well!

BRIAN

I guess that he is on that train now.

BRIAN

I guess that he is on the Train now.

Cindy

Miss you Davey JOnes

DWIGHT

I WAS SADDENED TO HEAR OF DAVY'S PASSING. HE BROUGHT LOVE AND HAPPINESS TO PEOPLE EVERY WHERE. HEAVEN IS A HAPPIER PLACE!

Michele Roberts

I heard his latest wife has been physically abusive to him on a regular basis. Makes me wonder if that could have caused enough stress to bring on the heart attack.

Paweł

good

Cybersleuth

Here we come, walkin' down the street . . . RIP, Davy

Kerry Rogers

Hi Like most of the young kids and teen's of the 60's and 70's I grew up watching the Monkey's TV shows and had a lot of their music. Prayers go out to the family .

Kevin M

When I was very young , wherever I would go , to the neighbors or relatives house ,I would see the albums from the group everywhere....Davy Jones and the Monkees were a great part of American pop culture.... He will always be remembered.
Kevin M

fromwayacrosstheoceanami

I had only just turned 6 years old when I first watched The Monkees. I totally fell head over heels in 5year old love with the absolutely adorable Davey Jones. I remember to this day the joy I felt watching him and wanted to marry him when I was old enough. Today I realised that this beautiful man instilled in me my love of music. I watched a video of Daydream Believer tonight, and it bought a tear to my eye. He was truly my first love, to his family, the very best of wishes.

JS

When did Davy move to FL? I thought his home was PA?

Previous 15 Comments | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments