Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Martin Timothy

Davy was a super nice guy, his last show was a super nice performance..

Jean Steckelberg

I'm a baby boomer that grew up with Davy Jones/Monkees. It brings me sadness to hear of Davy's passing at a young age. RIP Davy.

eddie rexroth

grew up with davy jones and the monkies..they where fun to watch...they had fun doing what they had fun doing....sorry for davy and his family...he was to young to go...i'm only a few years younger then he was...makes you think... be thankful for every day you have....rest well davy...

P.J.

My heart sadden for the lost of a talented performer, and he will truly be missed. I also was a big fan of The Monkees that I used to pretend to be one of them. Rest in Peace, or really JAM with other entertainers in heaven!

Thomas Merton

I can'y imagine the oupouring of grief if one of the Dave Clark Five died or a mamber of Herman's Hermits. Every human owes God a debt....his or her life, deal with it, ...myh neighbor died of a heart attac 2 weeks ago and left a wife 3 kids a morgage and a lot of sad friends....he was44. TMZ is really lame sometimes.

Violet

My heart aches for such a tremendous loss ... the loss of a beloved father who loved his four daughters above reproach ... the loss of a beloved husband, and the loss of a beloved man who's heart was so much greater than his earthly physical size. God Bless you David, and may God Bless & bring comfort with memories of joy to the hearts of all who love you. May God touch the hearts of all your children, grand children, family & friends, as well as all those fans you have touched the hearts of all these many years. We have all loved you Davy, just as you have loved us in some way.
You will be sadly missed. Rest in Peace My Friend, until we all meet again.

dianne fairchild

My first "love"...He will be missed by countless fans, from people like me, who have known him since Saturday mornings in the 60's- to the newest of fans that just "discovered" him. The cutest MONKEE and the sweetest voice. And, to think his whole career was based on accidentally being a HIT!...not for their show, but for the BAND!

Nolan Weiss

Watch that - Davy predicted his own death

james

So sad, Davy Jones, was an absolutely awesome singer. I enjoyed the monkees as a kid in the 80's and continue to enjoy them... God rest his soul...

jojo

love and thoughts for Davy's family and friends...love ya kiddo..my 1st Hollywood crush...keep on rocking in the heavens Mr Davy Jones =))

Kathy

Loved,Loved,Loved Davy. He was my first love. Saw him twice in New Orleans, dream come true. I am very sad, but will never forget him, and will love him forever.

yusuf

such sad story to know the davy jone just pass away..

AMY NAGY

HI THIS AMY NAGY I KNOW DAVY JONES FOR A LONG TIME SENTS I WAS A LITTLE GIRL BUT I HEARD THAT HE PAST AWAY LAST WEEK BUT I DIDNT KNOW HE PASS AWAY I WAS SAD THAT HE DIE ANYWAY BUT GOD GOT HIM IN HEAVEN NOW SO PRISE GOD WE LOVE DAVY JONES. SIGN AMY NAGY PS. 859 552 4326 CALL ME OK.

debbie

I'm sad and always surprised when I hear that anyone including Davy Jones has died of a massive heart attack. This is a testament to annual physicals and healthy living. Genetics can't be changed, but taking care of yourself can extend your life. I wonder was Davy aware that he had a condition that eventually lead to his way too early death.
My condolences to his family.

CYNDI ALANIS

DAVY JONES,I'LL MISS YOU !!!! I NEVER STOPPED PLAYING YOUR SONGS. NEVER, EVER SINCE I WAS A TEENAGER. I LIKED THE GROUP, BUT YOU WERE MY FAVORITE. I LOVED YOU, ALWAYS WILL. BECAUSE OF YOU, I UNDERSTOOD WHAT LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT REALLY MEANT. TODAY I PLAYED YOUR SONGS. BUT THEN AGAIN, I DO EVERY DAY. FOR YOU WERE PART OF MY TEENAGE YEARS, THAT SINCE THEN, BROUGHT ME TO WHERE I AM NOW. I BELIEVE YOU'RE IN HEAVEN NOW.GOD BLESS YOU DAVY JONES. REST IN PEACE.LOVE YOU ALWAYS, CYNDI ALANIS

Previous 15 Comments | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments