« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Peyton Manning

Move Over, Tim Tebow

I'm Officially a Bronco!!!

3/20/2012 12:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peyton Manning holds his jersey. He is officially a Denver Bronco.
Peyton Manning
is officially a Denver Bronco -- which means Tim Tebow's out of a job.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen just made the announcement alongside Broncos legend John Elway -- a deal worth a reported $96 million over 5 years, making Peyton the highest paid player in the NFL.

John Elway made it clear during the announcement ... the Broncos are NOT a Super Bowl caliber team with Tim Tebow.

Peyton -- who will wear #18 on the team -- said he's unsure about Tim Tebow's future ... but claimed, if Tebow stays with the Broncos next year, "I'm going to be the best teammate I can be."

Elway said a Tebow trade hasn't been discussed with other teams yet -- but admitted it's very possible the Broncos will get rid of him. Elway speculated Tebow was "disappointed" by the announcement -- but Tebow never said it to him. According to Elway, Tebow was very understanding about the Broncos' decision.

The #18 is significant in Broncos history -- it once belonged to famed Broncos QB Frank Tripucka in the 1960s ... and retired with him. Peyton said Frank personally asked Peyton to resurrect his number, so the Broncs UN-RETIRED it just for PM.

Now that the acquisition's official -- the Broncos will be trying to trade Tebow ... though it's unclear where the 24-year-old will be headed.

Several teams have reportedly been in discussions about snagging Tebow -- who led the Broncos on a tumultuous ride through the playoffs last season -- including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, and New York Jets.

0109_tebow_tebowing_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

val

TIM TEBOW WON 7 GAMES FOR THE BRONCOS LAST YEAR AND NOW THEY THROW HIM AWAY FOR A GUY WHO CAN'T PLAY WITH A BAD NECK .. NICE GUY BUT NOT GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE SEASON AND COULD BE BACK ON THE SEAT .. LOSE DENVER .. WE ARE TEBOW FANS HERE AND WILL NEVER BE BRONCO FANS .. YOU LOST A LOT OF FANS CAUSE OF YOUR LEADER'S EGO .. AND LOST ALL OF US

tess

John Elway is a classless dolt. I used to respect him, but when they needed someone to help them save a season, Tebow (with all his faults) stepped in. He energized a city and was cause for much talk around the football world. Keep in mind that since the "strike" there wasn't any preseason and training and coaching that would have normally taken place. To make the announcement that Peyton is their man and the Broncos are not superbowl material with Tebow is just low class. And, as a previous poster said...Karma.

bart

Oh Lord! Do not send that carnival attraction (Tebow) back here to Florida! Send him anywhere but here!

superchicken

I wonder what would have happened if Frank Tripucka refused?

Tiffany

Don't mind Manning, nor Tebow. Think they are both great people, but Elway is just an arrogant ass and his statement just proved it. Teams trade all the time, I think it is better for Tebow to get away from Elway since it is in your face obvious that he cannot stand Tebow. I am Christian, but the crazy Christian's who look to a good Christian man as some sort of messiah - they need help. He is quarterback who believes in Jesus and isn't ashamed of it, but anything more than that is just stupid.

JDILL

The Broncos are not skrewing him..its business..I like Tebow but lets be real here..you can't run an option all the time...Paying Mr. Manning 96 million over a 5 years is not all guaranteed plus their is injury protection built in..The one thing that everyone can agree is that NO ONE really has an idea how well Peyton can play..so stop assuming that he is done because no one really knows what his come back is going to be like until next season..GO BRONCOS!!

The Neko Nation

The Broncos are obviously serious about winning now. Teblow is a joke and will never be at the level of Peyton Manning. The retarded Teblow fans are not true Broncos fans. Just a bunch of silly christian pieces of S*H*I*T who know nothing about football or business.

CrankyMaddog

BREAKING NEWS: Tim Tebow loses long-held virginity after getting screwed by the Broncos.

superbadnerves1

Sorry but this is dumb as hell he will 51 by the time his finished one bad hit from those young boys ad he is out again getting paid for not doing nothing he is not worth 96 million

Jennyy

All Denver bought was a name. Manning's great days are gone. He spent most of last season on the bench due to head injuries. One more concussion and he will not get cleared to play again. I really hope Denver has the decency to release Tim so he can play. It would be really dirty if Denver kept him just to sit him down all season and not have to play him. Tim is young and over flowing with potential. All he needs is the right coach to fine tune him.

rico

Poor Tebow, I guess that Jesus thing did'nt work.

jimmy d

...but seriously, what has Manning done lately? It's been over half a decade since he won one. - NFLfan

@NFLfan

Wow. Thanks for that. I hadn't realized it has been a little over 5 years since Peyton won a superbowl. I mean he has had great seasons since then and winning a SuperBowl is never guaranteed but you are right on the money! I think a better way to look at "half a decade" or five years is 1/20th of a century. I mean Peyton has not won a SuperBowl in a little over 1/20th of a century! I mean that's crazy! The Broncos are run by a bunch of incompetent drunks who could sure use a guy like you, NFLfan, in their front office.

Smarg

I hope Manning's neck and arms go numb at the first practice.

Then, let's see the greedy horse-toothed Elway laugh. Har har.

Uncle Rufus

Are you kidding me?! Manning wanted the No. Jersey (18) of a DEAD guy, and they ACTUALLY GAVE IT TO HIM?! Whoa...I see a BIG TIME SEASON ending SACK in Mr. Manning's "Bad Karma" future.

jimmy d

Even though the Broncos made a reasoned decision with hiring Peyton, a world-class quarterback and offensive playmaker, I wish Tim Tebow all the best. Tim Tebow regardless of my feelings toward his supernatural beliefs, his un/under-educated flock/fans, and his hype seems like a genuinely wonderful kind&loving person. If anything I want Tebow to win the SuperBowl over Peyton with whatever team you choose. You have to work on your timing...but I am sure you already know that. All the Best. JD

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments