Jason Russell

Naked Meltdown Blamed on

'Brief Reactive Psychosis'

3/21/2012 7:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0321_jason_russell_BN_01
Jason Russell
's family has a statement on the "Kony 2012" founder's health ... claiming Russell was diagnosed with "brief reactive psychosis" following his naked meltdown ... and will remain hospitalized for several weeks.

The statement reads, "We would, again, like to make it clear that Jason's incident was in no way the result of drugs or alcohol in his body. The preliminary diagnosis he received is called brief reactive psychosis, an acute state brought on by extreme exhaustion, stress and dehydration."

The statement continues, "Though new to us, the doctors say this is a common experience given the great mental, emotional and physical shock his body has gone through in these last two weeks. Even for us, it's hard to understand the sudden transition from relative anonymity to worldwide attention - both raves and ridicules, in a matter of days."

TMZ posted the video last week ... showing a naked Russell ranting maniacally and slapping the pavement before cops detained him on a 5150 psychiatric hold last week.

Jason's family insists ... Russell "will get better" ... saying, "He is, and will remain, under hospital care for a number of weeks; and after that, the recovery process could take months before he is fully able to step back into his role with Invisible Children."

"During that time, we will focus not on a speedy recovery, but a thorough one."

Bill Leslie

ssssuuuurrrreee it was - because that sort of thing happens all the time because no one else is ever stressed or worried (like trauma surgeons, or cops, or single moms working 3 jobs, or ....)

ricol78

Unlimited movies download for your iPhone and iPad. http://bestfilmcinema.org

Duchess

So they are still sticking to the dehydration story???? And what has ....... nevermid....I give up.

devon

total BS. he's doing drugs.

Horndog

Sometimes I have a similar reaction when reading TMZ (tm).

Mikey

The public masturbation scene in Directors Cut of the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is insane. Clint Eastwood "Blondie" is in the desert, exhausted, dehydrated, and dying of thirst. Then he just goes nuts much like Jason.

devon

yeah, he looked REALLY dehydrated in the video! malnutrition?? i'm sure he wants to get some MALE-nutrition, lol.

Wilmer

A manic episode caused by the stress of being a closeted homosexual. Every time he opens his mouth, a purse falls out!

Celebrities Suck

give back all donation scammer...

Tommy Tune

TMZ: can you please start deleting these stupid comments where people keep telling us how much money they make etc? They are annoying.
But as for Mr. Russell, they will probably brainwash him back to thinking he 'is not gay'... The first time I saw this guy on the Today show, his mannerisms and the way he sat told a different story... And for them to keep him for "a few weeks" there is something definitely wrong other then stress/dehydration in my opinion. He totally went off the deep end in that video and I am still waiting for the NSFW version.. ;-)

Mikey

This is quite common especially in states like Arizona where the temperature can get to 120 degrees. You can't drive down the street in Arizona in the summer without see multiple people masturbating in public. Thats why they tint there car windows.

DrAnnoyed

Very sad to see this happen, but plenty of people go through extreme stress and "dehydration" - war, combat, natural catastrophes, etc. Not too many of them experience a psychotic break. There has to be a predisposition - ie a subclinical dysfunction/disorder.

Becky

Actually, I believe this was in fact "reactive pyschosis", especially if, in addition to his added stress that is now clear he was ill-equipped to handle, he was suffering from a nutritional imbalance. I followed a prominent doctor's eating plan and my electrolyte balance went out of whack and I started drinking over 100 oz of water a day because I felt extremely dehydrated and the doctor yelled at me and he actually warned me that I could suffer from temporary pyschosis if I didn't cut that nonsense out. So while it wasn't the same scenario, and I did not in fact have those symptoms it was the first time I ever heard that dietary imbalances could bring on psychosis.

I never heard of this guy before the incident in California but it did prompt me to watch his do***entary and the guy was clearly stable and has been fighting for this amazing cause for a long time. He clearly has a great heart and appears to be a great father so I am going to cut the dude some slack, he's suffered enough from this and I pray that he heals soon and can keep focus on doing what he's been doing and will be able to move on from this nightmare.

Mikey

"He is, and will remain, under hospital care for a number of weeks"

It takes weeks to re-hydrate him?

Tookie Topbox

Totally disrespectful to anyone who showed that video in this man's time of despair!! Shame on you TMZ!
I wish Jason all the best.
This man is so fine!!!!