Ex-Korn Drummer David Silveria

I Drove While Tired ... Not Drunk

3/28/2012 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328_david_silveria_ex
Former Korn drummer David Silveria tells TMZ ... he blew a 0.0 on the breathalyzer during his DUI arrest this week ... but says cops nailed him anyway over a sleeping pill he took the night before.

TMZ broke the story ... Silveria was popped in Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday at 10:45 AM.

Silveria is adamant he hadn't been boozing ... telling us he suffers from insomnia and took a sleeping pill Saturday night to help him rest. When he woke up Sunday morning, David says he didn't realize he was still too tired to drive ... and accidentally rear-ended another car on the way to breakfast.

Cops arrived to the scene and put David through a standard DUI test ... but Silveria tells us they didn't detect a drop of alcohol in his system.

Silveria says he told the cops about the sleeping pill ... and that's when they made the decision to arrest him for DUI.

Silveria -- who is now a member of the band INFINIKA -- says he plans to take responsibility for his actions ... telling us, "It was an honest mistake."

Silverado Mom

I agree he should've said nothing. Honesty doesn't pay anymore. I know from my own experiences. Keep it between you and God and maybe those closest to you. But don't tell police! Their only function is to make arrests. They don't care about the law. That's a lawyers job. I think the cop was too embarassed that his DUI didn't turn out the way he expected. I doubt that the pill from "the night before" was still in effect. I'm sure Andy and Barney would've let him go as long as his insurance paid up. Which I don't doubt will.

Hisjules

test

coolguycriss

as a long time korn fan, that pic of david is old! back in 2006.

emily

I've been fighting the same thing. Told officer, I gave up trying to sleep and decided on a good morning instead. I told the over zealous officer I was just tired @4am, in my personal vehicle, when they stopped me for forgetting to put my lights on. Report says I failed to remain in my lane. Okay... I was not 5min.'s from home, getting coffee and a pack of cigarettes. 0.0, on alcohol. No drugs except for prescribed Klonopin found in my purse, that I openly divulged to b4 hand. To this date I've agreed to poor judgement but my true crime being naively and more stupidly entirely too honest w/the officer. Still put through the system like a criminal and insist the punishment, dui,or dwi, does not fit the crime. (being that I am a hazmat certified tractor trailer operator) In the meantime, you think no-one else could be,... sorry, "as stupid as I". Not that you need it, but, good luck and I understand.

Casey

Huntington Beach has the highest rate of DUI arrests in CA. Why? Because cops will see you walk out of a bar get in your car then after driving 2 feet pull you over and arrest you for DUI. They do nothing to prevent it. Besides the DUI thing HB cops have been corrupt for years.

bunny

Definitely sounds like an Ambien high.

CDF

Get off those sleeping pills Dave they're addicting, get into normal sleeping patterns gain it might take a few weeks but it's worth it

pills are always a bad idea unless they are some vitamins

Drey

Why did he tell the cops about that? Wow.....

Kaire

As someone who was hit head on and nearly killed by a sleeping driver, I'm sad this isn't something taken more seriously. I've been handed a life time of physical handicaps because someone was irresponsible. Good thing he didn't hurt anyone.

voiceofreason

DUI: Driving Under Influence! This does not mean alcohol only. It means driving under the influence of a mind altering substance. He could have taken Benadryl and still been arrested.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2