Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

barbara

It was a dumb joke, everyone is so uptight, I'm sure he has lots of gay friends. He's been in this business for years.

Joan K

Alice, your son would be proud of you, I think of him when I hear about Flight 93 and how he stood out with a few others and how they truly saved lives by what they did. God Bless You Alice.

Big D

To live openly gay, you have to be somewhat brave

fstblk

Right On! Right On! You tell him lady. Carson should've kept his mouth shut.What a MORON you are Carson!!!!!

John G Ingram

Message to Carson...I know a LOT of gay men (including myself) and women who are butch enough to KICK YOUR ASS to the ground! How dare you generalize like this! I let most comments about our gay community just roll off of my shoulder but this one pisses me off! We grew up having to defend ourselves emotionally and physically and yes, some of us have developed our muscles...not only to look attractive but to defend ourselves when need be.

mrs t

alice.well said.

Malin

Carson Daly hasn't been relevant for years, so resorts to homophobia in hopes of winning a few more listeners. Carson, dear, it wasn't so long ago that people were making cruel accusations and assumptions about YOUR OWN nighttime activities. Shame on you, you are no longer considered important and are barely mentioned in passing. Any man who screwed a blow-up doll like Tara Reid needs a reality check on who he should, and shouldn't, make fun of.

Shannon Steward

In all honesty i had always thought Carson was gay.

FedUp

SO WHAT???????? IT WAS A JOKE! QUIT BEING SO THIN SKINNED!!!!!! I'M SO SICK OF THIS CRAP!

Robert

Carson Daly is straight? Coulda fooled me.

J. Phillips

I applaud the bravery of Mark Bingham and so many others who died on 9/11. At the same time, I detest those who say it never happened!

chitchat

Most of these commenters are *******s. She has every right to call Carson Daly a d***head just as much as he has the right to make unfunny jokes about gay men. That's how freedom of speech works, idiots.

It has nothing to do with being "PC". EVERYBODY voices their disdain loudly in this country from racists like the Hunger Games critics to sexists like Rush Limbaugh to 9/11 moms like above. It only becomes a problem when the voice is actually a mature and reasonable one.

Princessbuttercup

Oh my gosh. Get over it, people! He was making a joke, and it was damn funny! Get your feelings OFF of your sleeves! I'm a woman, so every time someone makes a bad joke about a woman, am I to fire off a nasty letter? Hell no...it's a FREAKING JOKE!

CARLOS

I DON'T SEE HOW THE TRAGEDY OF 9/11 IS NOW ENTERED THE PICTURE. SERIOUSLY !?! ALL CARSON DALY WAS DOING WAS MAKING A JOKE OUT OF A SITUATION THAT ENDED WITH NO TRAGEDY OR ANYONE INJURED. WOULD A "COMEDIAN" GET OFF LIGHTER BECAUSE OF BEING A COMEDIAN? THIS STORY IS GONE WAY OVER THE TOP NOW. TIME TO LET IT GO !! WAY TOO MANY OVER SENSITIVE PEOPLE NOWADAYS !!

Max

You I hear things like this I right away think the guy telling the poor tasting joke himself must be gay. So come out come out where ever you are Carson.