« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Wrestler Kurt Angle

My Olympic Run's in Jeopardy

... Cause I Tore My Hammy

3/29/2012 3:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_k6fs1po8_0_qx780mqy
Former Team USA wrestling bad ass Kurt Angle has hit a major hurdle in his quest to return to the Olympics ... telling TMZ he sustained a major injury that could put an end to his journey.

Angle -- who won a gold medal for heavyweight freestyle wrestling at the '96 games -- just called in to "TMZ Live" and explained, "I injured my hamstring this morning ... it is a tear."

The 43-year-old says the injury occurred during a training session this morning ... and he has an MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

Angle tells us, "I still plan on going [to the Olympics] ... I've been training for a whole year now ... so it all depends on how it heals ... but if this tear is really bad, there's a chance I may not go."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Liz

Give it up, Kurt! He was a good guy, but his life totally spiraled downward after he joined pro wrestling. I hope his life is turned around, but it's time to give up on this. Aging athletes frequently don't know when to quit.

Scott

I wish him a speedy recovery, he is and will always be one of the best entertainers in the buisness.

JP

Kurt Angle's 3 I's, "Intensity, Integrity, and Injury."

Oh it's true, it's damn true!

TruthFull2000

He won a gold medal with a broken neck in 96'. I'm sure he can manage.

Mihalick

Maybe they can dust off Carlton Haselrig to send in his place.

For those that don't know his name - Haselrig is one of the greatest wrestler in NCAA history, and defeated Kurt Angle when they had a match in college. He was also an NFLer (with the Steelers, made the Pro Bowl once) and pro MMA fighter.

Jeff Becker

Just the beginning of a lifetime of injuries due to steriod abuse.

arale norimaki

“You do not boo an Olympic Gold Medalist. I'm the best in the world. I came here for you. You dont' boo me.”

It's true; this stuff can't be made up, folks.”

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

I want to tear your "hammy"...Do you bottom?

Lou P.

More importantly: will Kurt Angle be healthy enough to wrestle on the TNA Lockdown PPV?

bunny

Every single time Kurt says he's retraining for the Olympics, something ALWAYS comes up that stops him. He's a compulsive liar. Stop giving him attention. I wouldn't be surprised if the story about his mom is made up too.

ex lax

he needs another dui

LadyN

I think he realized he was never going to make it and he didn't want to embarrass himself. He's not the man he was in 1996 and has a long history of alcohol and drug abuse as well as many injuries from wrestling. I think if WWE called and asked him to co-headline WM today, he'd be there Sunday with no hesitations (or injuries).