Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

Rene Carrasco

From what I saw.....this commercial is really cool ! Mary J. makes this commercial look and sound great !

Shizz

She should've never did it in the first place. She's already established, she's already paid. And a queen doesn't promote burger king. Be real, people who have money dont eat burger king. Wolfgang puck and Bobby Flay don't do commercials. It's bad food and your selling out no matter what whether your broke or paid. They put garbage together and serve it to the community. Be real with yourselves. I don't eat fastfood, period.

Jewels

it looks finished to me! I guess Mary wants to put the blame on Burger King now!

Jasmine

Im black and of course i found a lil humor in that..but as far as being offended...I could see if it was some other random black perosn..but its mary j blige, a professional singer so it shouldnt really have been taken that way....ppl these days SMHH lol

ShojoBakuny

So... Let me get this straight... If she's singing about chicken in the real world, it is racism, but if her dreams revolve around fried chicken, that's not racist? It's not racist portraying a black chick so obsessed with chicken that it's all she can dream about... REALLY? WTF?

Trey

Are you kidding?!?! Grow up.....you would think Burger King execs turn water hoses and dogs on black folks.....everything does not scream racism...

Marissa

There is nothing fundamentally racist about this add. Mary J just sings it like she feels it as she always does. This is to her credit and no one's discredit. No lyrics speak of any one race. So for people to accept this as racist says something about themselves and their own insecurities as such. We all do like chicken for the most part, so what's wrong with an African-American singing about it as in any other commercial. This is quite a Nothing about Nothing! This same energy should have been better used when racists spoke negatively and stupidly about Mrs. Obama's God-given gift of nature which she has no control over. The other racists comments and comparisons to animals should have provided more rants and raves than this. All of the injustices done to our people should have more commentary than this. To react to this commercial is weak and frivolous. Such behavior diminishes the outcry for something really and truly important. To the discreditors: A Pox on You! Until you really have something worthwhile to shout out about.

George

I see nothing wrong ???????? are you guys going coocoo?

Vicki

why is she ashamed of her heritage?
black people liked fried chicken.
end of story.

cdm

I am wondering if this is the same thing that happened to Aunt Jemima and the pancake box.

mahjoli

so what's wrong????????.........i see nothing offensive/stereotypical here

Irene LONG

People need to stop it, Mary J didn't do anything wrong such foolishness chicken, watermelon nor no other food is for one race. Make your money Mary...

Traci F

Come on now please????????????? This is so ridiculous and takes a away from more SERIOUS claims of racism!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH is ENOUGH... I'm sure thier ancestors would be ASHAMED!!!! I think Burger King should fire Mary J Blige hire A Caucasion female artist and pay her the same, and if Mary J Blige trys to sue.... The other artist should sue her for Racism!!!!!!!!! IM so DONE WITH RICH people having way to much time on there hands and gripping about racism.... When so many of us are out here practically BEGGING for JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!! I will pray for her.

Mel

This song is my jam!! i wanna listen to this in my car

Jacques Jones

I'zzz love me some fried chicken!!