Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Luz

So sad! The last of the Mohicans from the '60...s era has died. I remember when the show was on I owned the ONE tv in my house. And as an adult, I spent many New Year's watching Rocking New Year. I hope his people will be able to keep the quality of that show. Rest in Peace, Dick Clark, and God bless you! Thanks for the memories.

Harrison441

We all going to miss you

Wash. Hts. Girl

He's up there with Donnie Kirshner, and they are both two of the greatest (and nicest) people in the music business. RIP...

J Atkin

I recall practicing my disco dancing while watching American Bandstand. That part of my childhood has left me this Wednesday the 18th of April. God Bless you Dick Clark, may you rest in peace. You will be sorrowly missed.

Glenda in Texas

Rest in peace, Mr. Clark. Love the video with little Michael. :)

kim

WHAT A MASSIVE LOSS FOR US... DICK YOU HAVE BEEN A WONDERFUL ENTERTAINER, A GREAT FRIEND TO SPEND THE NEW YEAR WITH AND AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL AND WE MUST NOT FORGET AMERICAN BANDSTAND... GOD BLESS YOU... MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOUR FIENDS, FANS, FAMILY AND CO-WORKERS NEW AND OLD YOU WILL BE VERY MISSED AND NEW YEARS WILL ""NEVER"" BE THE SAME :-(... ""RIP""

KIM

Love Dick Clark, he will be missed; New Years Eve will never be the same without him. We didn't know him personally, but it feels like we've lost an old friend.

koko

R.I.P. Dick Clark, growing up as a teen I loved watching American Bandstand.

LoverMe

Why aren't any of these TMZ videos showing up???!?!?

@taylor

My mom had lots of fun stories and danced a lot on his show.I hope they have fun together dancing in Heaven. RIP :(

Bu

RIP Dick Clark...he will always be a teenager in our hearts.

jyfy

he died due to fukushima fallout yet millions to follow him still worst to come keep eyes and ears open don't trust the government radiation is bad 4 u

StixZadinia

How could they tell? He's been dead for as long as I can remember.

myopinion

So Sad...RIP Dick Clark

Linda

The leader of American Bandstand is in heaven with all the greats that have gone be for him.Boy I bet thats one heck of a dance party!!! R.I.P. Mr Clake for a fan of 60 years.