Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Previous 15 Comments | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28

Erik1101

Rip

andy

ryan seacrest killed merv griffin and now dick clark

Janet Becraft

My mom Rebecca BeCraft grew up watching Dick Clark on American Bandstand, 25,000 Dollar Pyramid,watching the bloopers on TV and also watching Dick Clark's Rock N New Year's Eve when we ring in the new year.
I (Janet BeCraft) remember watching Dick Clark's 50th Anniversary of his show American Bandstand when they show all star celebrities who were on his show including my all time favorite singer BARRY MANILOW.
My family and I will miss Richard Wagstaff (Dick Clark) very much and his legacy will never die and I also remember Dick Clark when he was on stage with his longtime friend BARRY MANILOw when BARRY won the award for best Variety show and also performing Banstand Boogie (American Bandstand).
Again I also remember Dick Clark when they were honoring him for his program on TV with his friend Ryan Seacrest and the all Stars perform on stage with his theme song Bandstand Boogie with Marie Osmond and her Brother Donny and with another celebrity performing with them as well.
The late George Harrison said that Ringo also likes Dick Clark alot.
As what Dick Clark would say: For now I'm Dick Clark, "So Long".

Bettsie

Dick Clark will be missed. He gave a lot of stars their first big break. New Years won't be the same without him. R.I.P

MaryJane

He will be missed!
Many years of fond memories of music,band and singer.

Jerry

Maybe its that 50 ish yr old that took off her clothes up to he underwear is what did it.

E.A.

I always loved Dick Clark!! He liked everbody;as well as
blacks!!He was a legend!!And I will miss him!!-Eka

carmen robledo

So sadden I grew up watching and dancing at home his american band stand show from philadelphia

greg

RIP KIDDO DICK SAD DAY WERE BEST NEW YEARS YOUR CANDLE IN THE SKY NOW FOR ALL MR CLARK.THANKS

mis4bos

so sad..

Prophet

Later you old ****!

ieva

sad, very sad

shaun49

what years was americian bandstand hosted by dick clark

Previous 15 Comments | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28