Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Richard Snyder

May your soul rest in peace Mr.Dick Clark ! You will "ALWAYS" be remembered !And bless your Family for their terrible lose ! My prayers are with them !

Laura Archer

A sad day for America! He was & always will be an icon in the music industry. Prayers to his family. R.I.P. Mr. Dick Clark. Rockin the New Year from Heaven Above.

Danielle Dente

I am so saddened to hear this news. I loved Dick Clark and I grew up watching American Bandstand and every New Years Eve show. I will miss you greatly. RIP

ILL WILL

Ryan Seacreast killed him!!!

Crystal Ilsley

I can't believe he's gone. I thought he'd live forever. I grew up on American Bandstand and New Year's Rockin' Eve. Definitely the end of an era....

NJSmurfette

So very sad! I remember watching him every Saturday (I was a teenager in the 70's). He will be missed!

Phyllis

So sad. New Year's Eve will never be the same! He was truly a wonderful person and will be missed. God Bless You Dick, RIP, your loving fan.

Brent

LOL. Dick Clark's ghost already has a twitter account: https://twitter.com/dickclarksghost

coddayo

It is a sad day. Everyone love him. I feel as if I grew up with Dick Clark....watching him when I was just a kid in front of an old B&W TV, sprawled on the floor....watching all the great ones of the late '50s and 60's....from Jerry Lee Lewis, Lesley Gore, The Ronnettes to Chubby Checker and more. He was in a class with the likes of Johnny Carson.....a true gentleman in every sense of the word. RIP Dick Clark.

Brent

Lol. Dick Clark's ghost already has a Twitter account. https://twitter.com/dickclarksghost

LasVegasResidency

RIP Dude

connie roe

you will be miss rip

Janet

I can go back as far as when I was 12 years old watching American Band Stand. His life gave much meaning to so many people and I know his death will be sad for a whole lot of people. New Year's Eve will never be the same again! And end of an Era as we all knew it, a new beginning as he entered Heaven's Gate! Rest in Peace Dick Clark. You will be missed!

Carl

Sad, but he's been in decline for many years so I guess it isn't unexpected. Too bad there aren't more stories about classy and talented celebs like him instead of all the useless people TMZ normally reports on.

djray351

Met Dick on ABS in Philadelphia 1963, and knew him when he opened his 1st hamburger stand in Pennsauken, NJ near Airport Circle. I still refer to him as the worlds oldest teenager, and will miss everything he did for the music industry and groups from the 50's, 60's and 70's. My father always told me to never say goodbye, because that lasts forever. So for now I'll just say to Dick "I'm Ray, and So Long For Now"