Matt Groening

The Simpsons ... Are Wildcats?

4/30/2012 6:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0430_matt_groening_tmz_where
Springfield is NOT in Oregon ... or Illinois ... or Delaware ... or Ohio, Nevada or Maine ... so says creator Matt Groening.

Matt was leaving Nobu in Malibu this weekend ... posing for photos and signing autographs ... when our photog asked the cartoon god to finally settle the Springfield debate once and for all.

For years, Simpsons writers have given clues about the true location of Bart's hometown ... but they've never given an official answer.

But last night, Groening FINALLY gave us the answer we were looking for. Maybe.

He might have been joking ...

Shane!

And here is the full episode from Season 11 Episode 22 'Behind The Laughter' when they say they are from Northern Kentucky (I didn't upload this so don't sue me Fox): http://www.watchcartoononline.com/the-simpsons-season-11-episode-22-behind-the-laughter

nancy jo

what about all of the Springfields out there??? As one whole one?!!!!

Stormy

I could care less, and think it would take away from the cartoon if a definitive answer was given BUT, the Simpson character's are all name after streets in the city Of Portland Oregon, and Springfield is in Oregon as well. Just saying, man....

J

Matt's looking a lot like Comic Book Guy.

nkyjenn

I am from Northern Kentucky, but I do not watch "The Simpsons." I remember when the episode aired where it said they were from Northern Kentucky. I woke up to a full inbox of people asking me if The Simpsons live here and if we have a power plant nearby. There are no towns that I know of in NKY named Spring anything. There are a few subdivisions with Spring names. There are a couple of bigger cities here, with most of the area being suburbs and some farmland.

steve

it was declared some years ago after a national contest of all Springfields in the U.S. that Springfield, Vermont was the official Simpsons Springfield

PSUBob

Abc world news did a story last week in which he said Oregon!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3