Beastie Boys

Hello, Nasty Lawsuit ...

Filed Day Before MCA Died

5/8/2012 4:04 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508_beastie_boys
In what may be the worst-timed lawsuit EVER ... a record label has accused the Beastie Boys of stealing its artist's music on 2 of their biggest albums ... and it filed the suit just hours before MCA passed away.

The case is actually pretty interesting ... TufAmerica claims MCA, Mike D and Ad-Rock ripped off the '80s band Trouble Funk ... and illegally sampled their music on multiple songs featured on the albums "Licensed to Ill" and "Paul's Boutique."

In the lawsuit, filed in federal court in NY on May 3, TufAmerica claims the Beastie's sampled a famous drum beat from the Trouble Funk hit "Drop the Bomb" on the 1986 hit "The New Style."

TufAmerica also claims the Beatie's stole riffs from the song on "Car Thief" and "Hold It Now Hit It" ... and also ripped off the Trouble Funk track "Say What" on the song "Shadrack."

So why sue now? TufAmerica claims the Beasties have been re-releasing and distributing the tracks ... and are not paying for the rights to sample Trouble Funk.

In fact, TufAmerica claims it has "never received royalties or payment" for any of the songs ... ever.

So far, no comment from the Beastie Boys ... probably because they have more important matters to tend to at the moment.

Mumzee

Wow horrible timing is right, but there should be a statute of limitations or something right?

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Samples were used prior to the law being passed. That means nada.

Tyler Martin

You can't copyright a rhythm, and I'm pretty sure its NOT illegal to take samples from old songs and re-work the sounds into ur own new rhythm. Correct me if I'm wrong.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

The only way the other party will win is if the Beastie Boys went back and added more or less the same or different samples from the same person's album after '93 and then re-released/redistributed the updated song.

zman

Hmmm...first of bad timing indeed....but two things I gotta ask is:

1. Why wait almost twenty years to file the lawsuit in the first place?
and....

2. "Drop the Bomb" sounds alot like Curtis Blows " These are the Breaks" ...maybe Curtis should sue Trouble Funk???!!!

Just sayin'

harleyharlett

isn't this past the statute of limitations??

Amy

They should be thanking the Beastie Boys. Personally, I'm thanking God I never heard a kazoo once in a BB song as in "Drop The Bomb" 11 seconds. There's no way I could have continued to listen to them and maintain my dignity.

Tom

Sounds like they sampled candy girl by new edition

LeeLoo

Statute of limitations for this sort of thing is up.

I'm still super bummed at the loss of MCA. I hope this question isn't insensitive but do you think Ad-Rock and Mike D will continue without him?

judi

dumb ass law suit. how many different beats can there be in the world? you dont own a freaking beat ass wipes..so tired of this ****.

Audiolicious

Tyler, it's called "Sound Recording Copyright" (the circle P you see on most albums), which means you cannot sample a specific recording. Master Recordings of songs are protected under copyright laws as their own body of work.

DrTyrell

Rick Ruben once said that Paul's Boutique would have costs $22 million in royalties from all the samples that were LEGAL to use at the time of the album's creation.

tequila101

Everyone samples everybody's music. I don't think they have a case because the essence of the song is not the same. Pretty lame lawsuit. I don't hear a similarity at all.

remy

probably accidental plagiarism

Kimo

I don't hear the resemblance...greedy bastards is all!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments