Vidal Sassoon

Dead at 84

5/9/2012 12:44 PM PDT UPDATED: 5/9/2012 12:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0509_vidal_sassoon_article_3
World-renowned hair stylist and fashion icon Vidal Sassoon has died.

According to reports, Sassoon passed away today from an unspecified illness at his home on Mulholland Drive in Hollywood. His family was by his side.

Vidal is credited with creating the famous haircut called the "bob."

0509_bob_haircut_victoria_beckham_katy_perry_paris_getty
Vidal was reportedly diagnosed with leukemia in 2009. It's unclear what role the cancer played in his death.

The hair icon was married four times -- most recently to Rhonda Sassoon in 1992, who stayed with him until his death. He is also survived by three children. Vidal was 84.

Vidal seemed pretty healthy right up until the end -- in fact, we spoke to him just last week ... and he gave us some pretty useful hair tips.

050912_sassoon_launch

dd

RIP

wow ew

Makes me feel bad I didn't finish watching the do***entary about his life on Netflix. But overall I say he did very well in his life. He's a respectful man. May he rest in peace.

Amy

This guy was amazing, saw his autobiography movie last year. RIP Vidal, you lived life to it's fullest and were a revolutionary.

Muppet

Sad day. Rest in Peace VS.

cjs

I loved his shampoo, I can still recall it's smell. I wish they still made it.

Truth

RIP... DUDE WAS 84. HE LIVED A LONGTIME REGARDLESS. #TRUTH!!

Laura

Kevin spacey should play him in a movie. He could be his twin.

Gurgle

*I never knew that was a persons name*, just thought it was a name brand... but I have never had any hair to speak of either. non the less, RIP, here's to a life well lived.

myopinion

RIP Vidal...He was a true gentleman....They don't make them like him anymore.....RIP

remy

he was straight?!?

derwood

Amazing how this guy got rich & famous on what is pretty much a variation on the bowl haircut your momma gave you.

She's baaaack

Bummer. Back in the day he was the absolute man for hair styling. If you had a hair stylist who you could go to and say you wanted a Sassoon style you were so freaking cool. His muse was named Peggy Moffit (look her up). How good is your life that when you die your "mark" is made. Mine? not so much. RIP VIdal Sassoon. I always wished I had straight hair when I saw what you could do with it.

Salvatore

Rest in peace, Vidal!

pragmatist

ever since honeys was wearin' sassoon

Raejean

No, Sassoon was NOT "...credited with creating the famous haircut called the 'bob'."

The bob was created back in the 1920s.

Sassoon was famous for creating a short, asymmetrical hairstyle called "the Sassoon."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments