Ex-James Bond OUTRAGED

Over Heineken Deal --

New 007's a Sellout!!!

5/23/2012 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0522_George-Lazenby_heineken_logo_2
They don't make 'em like they used to -- at least according to the guy who played James Bond in 1969, who's pissed the new Bond film has axed 007's signature martini ... in favor of a corporate-sponsored beer.

If you don't know ... the people behind Daniel Craig's next Bond flick "Skyfall" closed a reported $45 million deal with Heineken -- forcing the iconic character to drink beer in the movie, instead of a vodka martini ... Bond's famous drink of choice.

Bond orders the drink in practically every movie ever -- just check the clip below from "The World Is Not Enough."

Devoted Bond fans everywhere are pissed -- a list that includes former James Bond actor George Lazenby, who played 007 in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

Lazenby tells us, cutting the martini in favor of a Heiney breaks a sacred tradition -- and to add insult to injury, "It's not the best beer out there, either."

Lazenby adds, it's sad filmmakers will always "go where the money is."

JP

Wow, all that cash from product placement. Movies are like commercials now. And how much are you suckers paying to see a movie in the theater these days?

rikki

Crappy beer....But it makes me laugh because I remember a great line Martin Sheen had in The West Wing about shaken/not stirred....The reason you stir the martini with a special spoon is so you don't chip the ice which would cause the drink to be diluted faster; James Bond is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it...hehehe...but I digress....this is horrible....

Corporate sellouts.....

Crim

People, calm down (especially you, Mr. Lazenby - and I mean this with the most respect `cause you were awesome in OHMSS)! Stop acting like this Heineken deal is a major betrayal to the character. Yes, martinis are Bond's preferred drink but, like most champion drinkers, he'll drink whatever's handy. In the past we've seen him down:
mojitos (Die Another Day)
mint juleps (Goldfinger)
champagne (tons of post-coital occasions)
and, yes, beer (Quantum of Solace, Licence to Kill, to name just a couple)
Heck, this isn't even the first time there's been a beer product placement in a Bond film (Budweiser, "Licence to Kill," Red Stripe, "Dr. No"). And the vodka brand product placements we've seen over the years is too many to count. In short, Bond has survived killer lasers, sharks, and even corporate studio malfeasance - trust me, he'll survive Heineken.

twcsmom

I don't like this at all, and neither will most Bond fans our there. Maybe, as a sign of rebellion, Bond's girl in this film can order the martini.....shaken, not stirred, which piques his interest! Maybe the producers can cancel their deal....Bond needs to have his martini!

Straight Talkin Texan

Part of the appeal of Bond is his "cool" factor. Beer does NOT say "cool"!

RamHead

I only drink water, so it doesn't matter to me what James Bond drinks and whether it's shaken or stirred or whatever. And I never liked James Bond.
But this Lazenby.......didn't he playJames Bond in a movie called "On her majesty's secret service" many, many years ago? And wasn't that movie considered one of the "less" James Bond movies? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he played Bond only once. Why was that?

Jeanie Texas

New time new younger generation has the right to a beer over the nasty straight vodka martini. I am as sick of the shaken not stirred crap as I am of break a leg, LBJ, Nixon and all that old crap from days gone by.

CriticXtreme

This proves that anyone can be brought. In the next , next movie have JB not order and drink a Heineken but order and drink some Maddog 20/20 with Pepsi and the ice rinsed.

Todd

when I read the headline that a former bond said bad things about it I was curious. Then I saw it was George Lazenby. Calm down George you did one bond movie and you sucked as bond. Craig may not be drinking martini's but he's a better bond than you could ever be. Not every bond has to be the same. I dig these new movies, they don't compare to the connery days but these new movies are awesome.

Northerner

Ian Flemming is turning over in his grave!

mysteriousgirl007

That just sucks.

Jarrett

James Bond also drank whiskey and branch water, Dom Perrignon 53' , brandy there is so many others.
I have been watching all the bond films.

scott

It is a shame that they have sold out. The bond movies are great but have gotten worse over the years. I am pretty sure this will be the nail in the series of movies. The director should be ashamed don't mess with tradition the series is bigger than any actor or director.

pufferfish

It's bad enough we have to put up with this kind of corporate advertising in our TV shows but in our movies too? I know they do it all the time, but changing the what the character drinks after dozens of novels and 20 plus movies, is just plain ridiculous and greedy. I mean come on... with ever rising ticket prices, plus DVD sales and rentals in a movie franchise that NEVER fails to make money, can't these greedy A-holes at the studio ever let up?

DaveT

There's another Bond besides Sean Connery? Who knew?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments