Gwyneth Paltrow

Triggers Racial Controversy

after Using N-Word

6/4/2012 10:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0604_gwenith_paltrow_on_stage_twitterGwyneth Paltrow ignited a firestorm of criticism after blasting the N-word to her one million Twitter followers this weekend ... while describing a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert in Paris.

Paltrow was rockin out Friday at the "Watch the Throne Tour" ... when she decided to send a twitter pic of herself on stage (above) with the rappers and the caption "Ni**as in paris for real." If you've been under a rock -- or if you're Kris Jenner --  that's the title of a Jay and Kanye song.

The tweet triggered a tidal wave of negative internet buzz ... with fans questioning whether Gwyneth was using the term in a derogatory way. GP later responded unapologetically, "Hold up. It's the title of the song!"

That said, Jay and Kanye did go on to perform their hit song "Ni**as in Paris" a whopping 11 times that night.

Lilttle Darlin NYC

This is ridiculous. I'm white and I'll say *****s anytime. Its 2012, get a life. We have a black president, white people are the minority in this country. Hate is everywhere... move... on. Go volunteer somewhere instead of cry about nonsense like this. Shut the F up! Im so over this ***** s*^T

Trevis Miho

Ugh, this'll always be a topic and it's not even soo dificult no one can figure it out. If you're not black, you should not be saying the N word. If you're white and you use it, just know that when you're not around we have the best time talking about you. White people who use it look like IDIOTS, no matter how cool they think they are.
Now, if you're a rapper and have songs that have the N word in it, then I personally think YOU are the one's who should be vocal in this debate. ESPECIALLY if you're someone like Jay-Z, whose music OBVIOUSLY go beyond color lines - and bringing Gwyneth on stage?? That's setting her up for a situation. Personally, I think the title Ni**as In Paris is uncalled for for such huge artists releasing a single, and I guarentee there were 1,000,000,000 (white) peeps out there like "yo, you hear Ni**as In Paris"? "I love that song Ni**as in Paris"...I mean, that song was on the Billboard charts with that title! They could've used another title. I'm a Jay-Z and Kanye fan, and as soon as I heard that song (when it came out), then saw the title, I was prepared for it...then there it came - "Oh, Ni**as in Paris" was my favorite, etc, etc..AND these white kids just look at you like "What? That IS the name of the song, isn't it"? Someone who is on the level of a Jay-Z needs to set a standard, I (as a black man/ hip-hop FAN to the GRAVE) think that word is played out nowadays. Hip Hop artists need to grow up.

Ashley

she said "*****" not "******", in my book its fair game for all. if you dont say er it dont count! and besides she was telling her followers what song they performed, she wasnt using it as a derogitory term towards anyone so absolutely no foul.

Jay

So white people can download the song but they cant actually say the title? How dumb. " He guys look I just downloaded the N words in Paris for real!!!!!"

Johnny Carcinoma

Morons.

And I'm not talking about Gwyneth,

Bill C.

I don't have a problem with what Gwyneth said. The problem I have is they performed the same song 11 times during one concert. Seriously, 11 times?

KicksandGiggles

Blacks can only blame themselves. They idolize, support the very people who continually use the word. They need to STFU about it because the word, judging by their OWN PEOPLE's use and tolerance of it, is here to stay.

Carrie

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean that's the title of the song for crying out loud!! If you don't want that word used don't title the song and tour that! But on the other hand, Gwyneth should know that her using that word would cause a firestorm. It is a double standard but that's the world we live in.

Jamie

I am black but I have to be very truthful. The blacks in America are different to the blacks everywhere else. Well about 80% of them. My Gosh, they are sickening. I spent four years in America studying and the way the talk, the weave, the fake eyelashes, the pants on the bottom, the loudness.....and a million other things jus SICKENED me and I'm not an uptight person. They use the word n**ga but then expect that no other race would use it. If they don't RESPECT themselves, how do they expect other people to RESPECT them. The word n**ga is associated with such negativity but yet they think that it's cool to use it among themselves. Why couldn"t they turn the negative situation into a positive one and come up with a better and less deragatory name...like survivor or jus a person's name?

Truth

Bathrooms for whites only, words for blacks only... see the problem?

Gretel

Gwyneth Paltrow. Jay Z. Kanye West. I rest my case.

✘♥OThe Weeknd's Wife✘♥O

Ugh, stop being so overly sensitive. I've read truly disgusting racist comments on Youtube etc to be outraged about, but this isn't one of them.
I know jay -z doesn't even care if someone non black says it, my sister is a huge fan of him so I've been to a couple of his concerts. In the last one he preformed "Whats my name" and he held out the mic and encouraged the crowd (who was mostly white or non black) to say the word ( it was in the chorus of the song obviously). If he cared he wouldn't use the word in the chorus or title to most of his songs knowing that his fans of all ethnicities are going to say it or sing along. Stop making a big deal out of nothing.

Megadeth

That TMZ vote thing needs work, that word is old and full of hate and anger and ignorance, now it's used in songs like any commercialized word, hate is like smoke it lingers and attaches itself to anything clean and pure, it reeks and everyone senses it no matter how much they try not to, don't use words that reek it never goes well for anyone.

Mayu

Seriously, if you have such an issue with the "N" word... why do black people use it as a term of endearment? Either it's racist, or it's not. They always say they want equality... Kinda hard to be equal if you have one set of rules for yourself, and another for everyone else.

USArmy

Nonsense. Must be a slow news day. If you don't want white people using the term DON'T USE IT IN THE TITLE OF THE SONG!!!