Mark-Paul Gosselaar

I LOVED 'Saved by the Bell'

But the Writing ...

6/7/2012 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0607_mark-paul-gosselaar_tmz
Everyone can chill out -- Zack Morris says he didn't totally slam "Saved by the Bell" ... and insists his words were "taken out of context" in a controversial interview.

TMZ just spoke to Mark-Paul Gosselaar about the Yahoo! story in which he's quoted as saying of 'SBTB' ... "It's not a great show." Those words ignited an uproar on the Internet this week, but Mark told us, "I'm proud of that show and have no problem talking about it."

Mark does admit calling the show's writing "cheesy"... but says, "That's why people like it! I wasn't saying it was a bad show, just that the writing reflected" '80s cheesiness.

MPG says he's "bummed" his words were twisted, and adds ... "everything I've ever done after the show has pointed to me having nothing but respect for it."

Go Tigers!

update_bar
We reached out to the writer of the Yahoo! post, and he says, "I stand by my story 100 percent." He says Mark's quote, "It's not a great show. The writing is kind of hokey" ... is verbatim, and on tape.

JQ

This is not the first time I've heard of MPG dissing SBTB, and surely won't be the last. It was cheesy, hokey and all that, but don't diss the writer who is taking notes on you slamming your claim to fame. Your initial show sucked, but it made you famous....get over it. Mario Lopez was hotter anyway.

lanie

But he's right.. I actually love the show, but part of the reason it is good - is because it is so cheesy.. Just like Dukes of Hazard and the old 90210 ! Watch them now and you'll understand what he's talking about... He wasn't saying it is NOT an entertaining show.. He's just saying the writing was cheesy..which it was... I don't get why people are upset?!?!

O_o

(O _ O ) ( O _ O) (O _ O ) ...well, i'm ok with mark thinking that the show was hokey. i think that we can move on from this. mark-paul, u're going to be just fine.

Kelly

Of course he's right. That show was so stupid I never could stand to watch it. Even his hair was so fake. But I did become a fan of his after seeing him on NYPD Blue.

eric bierman

it was a good show for what it was.was it a little dumb and silly.sure.but thats what it was suppossed to be.pure entertainment.nothing more.nothing less.

MikeD

Who cares!!! Looking back on it now, the show was TOTALLY cheesy and the writing was TERRIBLE, MPG is just speaking the truth. Doesn't mean it was any less of a great show. Still my favorite of the 80's/early 90's

sarah

I didn't really care for the show, and it was cheesy, but at least he's playing a better role these days.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3