« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Warren Sapp

Please Don't Take

My Condo Away!

6/9/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0609_warren_sapp_getty
Former NFL superstar Warren Sapp didn't shed too many tears when he lost his Super Bowl ring, but when it comes to losing his home ... he won't go down without a fight, TMZ has learned.

HSBC bank is on the attack, claiming Sapp -- who recently filed for bankruptcy in Florida -- owes them $781,879.39 from before his filing. They are asking a judge to allow them to foreclose on his beachfront condo to help settle the score.

The football legend filed a response this week, pleading with the judge to let him keep the fancy digs. Sapp claims he's still living in it ... despite not making payments on it since May 2011.

Sapp vows to cough up the cash as soon as he sorts out the bankruptcy.

A judge has yet to rule.

0609_warren_sapp_pad_launch

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Michaela

I may be wrong, but I believe in Florida you're allowed to keep your homestead in a bankruptcy. And during the bankruptcy proceeding, the mortgage company is not allowed to foreclose

northern gypsy

no kidding..i wouldn't want to move either !!! sorry...the time to "sort out' your financial situation was before the $780,000 bill !!! cut your losses and pack up your stuff pal the party over...

Stiletto

Another reetahd that couldn't live within his means...which was a fortune to the average Joe. Zero sympathy for this clown. Pack your crap and go ask your neighbor what they are going to do with the box their new refrigerator came in.

obama'saracist

I want what i didnt pay for and just because i made a promise to pay and didnt does not give you the right to take your property

Cynthia

People get into.trouble sometimes.He needs to keep his home.Bankruptcy allows that.If Donald Trump can file for bankruptcy over and over again and keep all his stuff Warren should keep his home.

Cricket

It's ridiculous that famous people get exceptions that hard-working, everyday people don't. Hasn't paid anything in over a YEAR?? Give me a break, any regular Joe/Jane, would have been forced out after a month or two. Idiot. Warren,it won't kill you to live in a smaller, less fancy house. Trust me. .

Carl

When a run of the mill NFL (or other pro league) player goes bankrupt after leaving the sport I feel kind of sorry for them. They made good money but not "set for life" money, and they just lacked a decent financial education. Superstars like Sapp I feel ZERO sympathy for. He made phenomenal amounts of money and was in the sport long enough to have learned how to manage it. He could have lived very comfortably for the rest of his life had he been smart about his money. Going broke after only 5 years out of the game with as much money as he had is ridiculous.

flkipper

How do these old football players who made millions, have no money???

Bad Dog

Another idiot who made a ton of money and obviously pissed it all away.

Bad Dog

What I want to know is, who forced him to sign to pay the amount? No-one? Then he should still be forced to accept responsibility

Bobby

You know why TMZ;s getting kind of boring? Every other story is about a celebrity behaving irresponsibly, refusing to take responsibility, and getting away with it. Same story, different name. "I'm a celebrity! How dare they expect me to pay my mortgage!" "I'm a celebrity! Why should I have to pay attention while I'm driving?" If this guy couldn't afford the place, he should have sold it and moved to a place he could afford, instead of staying there and expected somebody else to pick up the tab.

oddjob

ha...I have made a payment since march 2011 on my house and i won't until they lower the interest rate or payments!

Lloyd!!!!

I don't think that is his main residence. Pretty sure he has a house on the Butler Chain in Orlando. Nice view of those blue waters though, can see why he wants to hold onto that

CJ

Maybe the NFL and NBA should give these guys a class on:
Your career won't last your entire life .... neither will your money - if you blow it all in the early years!!
No sympathy for this crap.

traitorwithinme

HSBC owes me 700,000 dollars. They ignore my calls and emails. Maybe its time for me to take them to court

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments