Meredith Vieira REJECTS NBC Offer

to Replace Ann Curry

6/21/2012 10:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621_ann_curry_vieira_savannah
NBC secretly offered Meredith Vieira a big contract to replace Ann Curry on the "Today" show ... but she turned them down.

Sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... the offer was made approximately two weeks ago but Meredith wasn't interested in returning to the show she anchored for 6 years.

TMZ broke the story back in April ... Ann Curry was on her way out, partly because NBC was unhappy with her performance, partly because the ratings started to suck, and partly because Matt Lauer didn't like working with her.

As we reported, when Matt re-signed with "Today," he made it clear he wanted a new co-anchor, but NBC delayed making an immediate change because the network didn't want to make it look like a big foot on Matt's part.

From what we're hearing, Ann could be 86'd within a matter of weeks.

As for who will replace Ann, network sources say the frontrunner is Savannah Guthrie, who co-hosts the third hour of "Today."

Chris

Ann Curry is too serious to anchor The Today Show. NBC made a bad choice when they decided on her instread of Natalie Morales. The show would have been much better...

Pokemon

I'm so tired of Al. I felt like I was having sympathy cardiac arrest listening to Al trying to talk and breathe at the same time

Gretel

I love the timbre of Ann Curry's voice.

Kari

Has NBC considered the possibility that Matt has become the problem?

Telma

Maybe the ratings went down because
of Matt! Can't stand him or Ann.

Michelle

I love Ann and after reading this, I'm not so sure that I like Matt that much anymore.

Tamra

Matt Lauer is a tool. Used to love him, now I'm disgusted by his God complex. Best of luck to Ann who is and will remain a class act.

steve

This is what i think we should say Lauer take a hike since when does did he become god ...time networks step it up an let everyone know they are not the boss

Bu

The best on camera partner for Matt would be Ashleigh Banfield....

gutsygirl

Matt Lauer is unintelligent, biased and insensitive. Need further proof that it's a man's world?

DebbyW

Ann Curry is the best, I look forward watching the show with her, she really does know her job, is so friendly and warm to people. Savannah is good at political news but that is it. Ann is much better at her roll than Savannah. I think it is terrible if they get rid of Ann, she is much better at being a co-anchor with Matt. Sorry but thats how I feel.

nunya

BOO! Let's keep marginalizing diversity. I have always supported Matt Lauer, but I think I'll start on online campaign against him.

Where's KOOKY?

There is no way Meredith would ever return to her old job at "Today" -- it would be a ratings and public relations disaster, especially for her personally. I can't stand "GMA" and will continue to watch "Today," although I do hope they'll replace Ann soon. She wasn't the right choice...too low-key for an early morning show, and she continues to stumble and stutter so much that it makes for uncomfortable viewing. Natalie Morales is the PERFECT choice, in my opinion. Upbeat, smart, quick on her feet...a MUCH better choice than Savannah.

buck

ML have some nerves to complain, highly overrated and ugly.
AC looks younger than SG

Michelle

THIS is soooo not fair! Ann has been working there for SO many years. She's great and they shouldn't get rid of her just because dumb Matt Lauer wants too. This is sooo lame. I'm surprised they didn't offer the position to Natalie Morales since Matt is banging her.