Meredith Vieira REJECTS NBC Offer

to Replace Ann Curry

6/21/2012 10:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621_ann_curry_vieira_savannah
NBC secretly offered Meredith Vieira a big contract to replace Ann Curry on the "Today" show ... but she turned them down.

Sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... the offer was made approximately two weeks ago but Meredith wasn't interested in returning to the show she anchored for 6 years.

TMZ broke the story back in April ... Ann Curry was on her way out, partly because NBC was unhappy with her performance, partly because the ratings started to suck, and partly because Matt Lauer didn't like working with her.

As we reported, when Matt re-signed with "Today," he made it clear he wanted a new co-anchor, but NBC delayed making an immediate change because the network didn't want to make it look like a big foot on Matt's part.

From what we're hearing, Ann could be 86'd within a matter of weeks.

As for who will replace Ann, network sources say the frontrunner is Savannah Guthrie, who co-hosts the third hour of "Today."

Janie

it's not fair to Ann Curry..............she's done a great job! Ditch Matt

Atl_Finest

I guess all the blind items I read about Matt trying to get his mistress Ann's job were true. That is so stupid Matt. Why would u want your jumpoff right next to u everyday.

Jan

I think bitchy Star Jones did not help the ratings either. Ann was good at READING news but sucks as a co-host. That's not Matt's fault. My favorite on The Today Show is Kathi Lee AFTER the air head gets drunk on air. CRAZY FUNNY

Gretel

If you think Matt is bad, have any of you seen the buffoons on the CBS morning news show?

Just Karen

Is it true Matt Lauer is having an affair with Savannah Guthrie? That's what I heard a few months ago....

Sherry

I don't watch any more NBC news program with their selective editing techniques. I do have to say that Meredith was a lot better. Ann is just too much of a prude. And Matt is not worth what he is being paid.

Richard

Meredith was painful to watch on Today. She can’t interview very well and looks a little wore out. I can’t see why NBC would want her back unless she paid them?

Ann on the other hand doesn’t age. She wares the most hideous god awful dresses. They look like something for a cutout paper doll. Oh her interviews are just as painful to watch.

Savannah, well she is on par with Meredith and Ann. Must be value priced labor.

I for one am tired of Matt also. Enough already.

Out of hundreds of millions of people this is all they have to choose from?

Freda_67

Bring back Deborah Norville, she was my all-time favorite.

DOROTHEA

If this is true then I am done watching the today show! I go way back with watching them every morning but now its to the point of no return. The problem is Matt not Ann along with the producers,Savannah is not going to do it! She acts like a primadonna which is probably why Matt likes her. I can't stand her and for that matter Jenna Wolf either. There needs to be major changes at the today show !!!!!!!

Just sayin'

I would like to say I ABSOLUTELY don't believe the following rumors posted elsewhere about the Today show:
1. You have to work "under" Matt (if you know what I mean) to advance up the ladder.
2. One of Natalie's kids really belongs to Matt.
3. Screwing the boss will guarantee you'll get the co-anchor job you were so hoping for.

darcy

It's Jay Leno and Conan. Except Meredith has class.

AlwaysOnTimeB

Matt is the reason i don't watch the show anymore, not Ann! Replace Matt and save a whole lot of money. His personality has changed quite a bit over the years, and it's not for the better!

Fabienne

Ann seems very serious which is nice to have on the news which has been mostly serious subjects lately. Feels rather pathetic that once again a show is going to dumb down by having a giggly bouncy replacement to make light of daily news. Wish Meredith had never left in the first place. Why should she come back just b/c the wrong decision was made though? I was a loyal watcher but now tend to switch over to GMA now. Matt's giddy little minions Savanna and Natalie are well....someone else can finish the sentence...

Joybubble55

Get rid of Matt he's way toooo fulllllll of himself.....🐒

Missy

Ann always seems nice, but she's boring. They should get Katie back- she's the best & they are the best together. Savannah is ok, but visually, she's too ginoumously tall. And the tension between Meredith & Al was horrific- I didn't like her at all. She was great on the View but not Today.