Animal Org. to Cee Lo

Don't Whip Out Your

Cockatoo on 'The Voice'

6/24/2012 8:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625-cee-lo-3Cee Lo is taking some serious heat over plans to rock out with his cockatoo out on the upcoming season of "The Voice" ... over concerns that stress from the show could cause the bird to self-mutilate.

The controversy stems from Cee Lo's recent announcement that he'll be replacing the pet cat who accompanied him during Season 1 with a Moluccan cockatoo named Lady.

But the move is causing some concern among bird activists -- because Moluccan cockatoos are endangered ... and are known to be extremely TERRIBLE pets.

TMZ spoke with Monica Engrebretson -- a rep for the animal rights org. Born Free USA ... who also happens to be an expert in all things related to the Moluccan cockatoo. She's also a HUGE Cee Lo fan.

Monica tells us ... "Moluccan cockatoos are beautiful, intelligent animals but they are very challenging to care for especially in the long term, and are prone to considerable welfare problems."

She adds, "Many Moluccan cockatoos develop self-destructive behavior including feather plucking and self mutilation not known to occur in the wild."

"Many parrot rescues are already filled to capacity with moluccans and other large parrots. I encourage “The Voice” to reconsider featuring a moluccan cockatoo or any bird as a 'pet' on the show and instead promote a more appropriate companion animal such as a dog. Even better, they could feature a rescue dog or a dog in need of a home."

She adds, "I want to add that I am a huge fan of Cee-Lo and I am glad that he appears to be an animal lover."

We reached out to Cee-Lo -- so far, no word back.

Tracey

WTF don't tell me what I can do with my own damn pet.

Ben from Baltimore

They could be right. The Maryland Zoo In Baltimore (formerly known as The Baltimore Zoo) had signed a deal to use real Raven birds before all Baltimore Ravens home games and the biggest concern was the noise of the fans cheering causing the birds to go nuts.

bjay

A slow news day.

EatMe

Cee Lo has admitted to torturing animals in his youth, so it comes as no surprize that he never has any animal's best interest at heart.

harleyharlett

... and are known to be extremely TERRIBLE pets.
huh??? they are the best peys - they are loving and love to be scratched and cuddle - and love ppl - i'vs had them most of my life - cuz they live soooo long" - now if they don't want ppl not to buy and discard - i agree but don't lie about their nature - what they are describinf sounds like an african grey

No comment

****atoos make for terrible pets, if you are not prepared for destruction, the noise, and the mess. The noise can be deafening, and they are very emotionally needy. If you get angry at them for the screaming they scream more.

I bought a parrot after 6 months of research. It totally changed my life as they are like a 2 yr old that never grows up. I love my parrot, but it stopped my impulse trips out of town. I had to readjust my life. Parrots are flock animals and want to be with their owner all most 100% of the time. When locked in a cage where they can't be with the owner they will scream. I have to secure my parrot when cooking on the stove for his safety. Go to petfinder dot com, and you will see pages and pages of ****atoos needing homes because they were too much for their owner.

With the Taco Bell dog and movies, Chihuahuas overflow the Los Angeles shelter system. They are killed at such a high rate, and some shelters discount their prices. Parrots, big parrots stay in a home for a few years before ending up in rescue. Counties do not have a system equipped to shelter parrots. Many times uncaring owners just set them free in the wild. Parrot rescues are over flowing with all kinds of parrots. Parrots really don't need Cee Lo making a Paris Hilton fashion statement. They are not a fashion accessory.

BB not bb

I'm all for protecting animals, but I think they should just warn Cee Lo that the bird could be stressed if they haven't seen it be hurt by performing yet. Maybe he has a good relationship with it and can make it get through the show okay.

Truth

ANIMAL ORG. TO CEE LO Don't Whip Out Your ****atoo on 'The Voice' ---> TMZ
I THOT HARVEY WAS HAVING A HARD-ON. #TRUTH!!

sue

He can"t sing and he has short little arms, now as for the bird................

LCS27

I think he's banging with the ****atoo

terri

Ceelo showed up at a charity event in Vancouver, Canada with jogging pants, tshirt that looked like he slept in it, being paid big buck least he could have dressed up. He look very obese and sloppy.

Kowny Krush

Cee-Lo and a bird? Or him with a cat? Not a good combination... he's been known to cruelly torture small animals. Google it.

Pete the Geek

So in an article about ****atoos we can't even say the word ****atoo? TMZ it's not like we are talking about ***corns or *****rabbits or *****roos - because I can understand censoring those words, but ****atoo? Really *arvy?

DaveT

*squaaaawk*...guess the change in my pocket...wasn't enough....I'm like...F*ck you!...*squaawk*

crowballs

pink ****atoos are about the most annoying bird ever. Never been with captives, but a big group of them squacking is about the most godawful sound ever. Dirty pink annoying birds, god love them.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments