'Today' Show

Savannah in Ann's Chair,

But Mum's the Word

6/29/2012 6:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

062912_guthrie_opening_today_launchSavannah Guthrie was alongside Matt Lauer on "Today" this morning … in the barely-cold chair that once belonged to Ann Curry ... but producers wussed out on making it official.

In fact, the beginning of the show was highly irregular -- the announcer always intros the anchors, not today on "Today."

TMZ broke the story -- Savannah has already inked her deal to replace Ann ... this after Meredith Vieira turned down an offer to return to the show.

Now it's unclear when the announcement will be made. We're told Matt is on vacation next week ... ditto for Al Roker.

Well, at least there will be plenty of time for the announcer to nail that new open.

Chase

I never thought Ann was up to the task of co-anchor, but because I had loved her doing the headlines, I was more than willing to give her a chance to be proven wrong. I'm sorry for Ann, but the bottom line is that she wasn't up to the task of co-anchor and the ratings proved that. I will not be fooled twice. Savannah is a lousy choice, and I won't be going back to Today anytime soon.

parlayer

one dingo head gone and replaced by another. leftist loons. yawn!! perhaps she can explain socialism better, than ann.

texaschickeee

Notice Matt leaning into her.....
Just remember Karma is a bitch. Matt and Guthrie will get theirs too.

AARONELZY

I wish her the best

Cynthia

I like her.Will watch.Good luck to her.

Angel

I feel sorry for Savannah. She's between a rock and a hard place. This is all Matt's and the NBC exec's faults. Why the execs are bowing to Matt's whims is beyond me. And the ratings are low because of the news stories. People are sick and tired of all the disease of the day stories. We wake up, turn on the news shows to get the overnight updates and hopefully get some "feel good" stories to start our day. I was actually depressed after watching Today. Nothing like heading to work pi$$ed off! I hope Ann moves to GMA like Amy did!

Jim

I don't think NBC could have handled this any worse if they tried. And since when does a network let an employee (Matt L.) tell them what to do? HORRIBLE!

Kevin

I don't even watch any of this crap and I get a feeling this Lauer guy is a douchebag. Hmmm

taz

Get used to that dumb look on her face if you keep watching Today, cause she makes that "gee shucks" face ALL THE TIME. She seems like a smart girl but she is not anchor material for a morning show. Lauer on the other hand looks GLIB.

jen

dear matt, u r a dic

Jetta

I will never watch that show again

Tracy

I watched this morning with a critical eye and, frankly, Savannah is just plain better at it than Ann was. She's seems like a natural. Ann's participation in the fluff always seemed very forced and uncomfortable, but Savannah seems quite at ease. It's that simple. Ann is very bright and talented with hard news and field reporting, but she just wasn't cut out for the anchor spot. To carry that off, you have to convincingly pretend to be interested in silly nonsense, and she couldn't pull that off.

GabyO

I wonder if Matt has hit it yet.

jabby

I watched her this morning. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He was doing all the talking....maybe that's what he wanted. Wish her luck, but I didn't see any "chemistry".

TheCat

Time to switch morning shows. If this is the way they treat each other.?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments