Dominic Monaghan

'Swamp People' Is Cruel

... SHUT IT DOWN!!!

7/12/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0712_dominic_swamp_people
"Lost" star Dominic Monaghan believes "Swamp People" is nothing more than "shock TV" that glorifies the senseless killing of alligators -- and it must be stopped.

Monaghan went off on Twitter moments ago about the History Channel show, writing, "If my hero Steve Irwin was around, those shows about killing alligators wouldn't be on TV. I'm gonna stop them."

Monaghan describes "Swamp People" as "death entertainment" that "continues to demonize reptiles as monsters and animals that are okay to torture and kill."

He adds, "If alligator populations need to be controlled, I understand. But the act should not be glorified on TV. Disgusting."

And according to Dominic, it's all the History Channel's fault -- "I blame the network, not the people."

So we gotta ask ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

michael

Oh no! Another idiot with to much money and a cause...

Fat Mike

Not as cruel as inflicting 6 seasons of Lost on us

Its Me

I'll admit I've watched it a few times, but mainly I want to see these idiots get bit!! Sadly, they never do!

YdoIreadthisstuff

The name of the show alone should be enough for you to not watch it.

MISSA

The show isn't glorifying the killing of alligators they are educating people on the dangers of them. If you see one you should call a wild life officer or someone skilled and trained enough to handle those situations. Alligators and crocodiles are dangerous they can kill pets, kids, and even adults if they pose a threat they need to be taken care of. When they put down the animal it’s done as humanly as possible they certainly aren’t torturing the animals or they wouldn’t show it on TV.

Jackie Collins

I agree with Dominic. It is a stupid, cruel and disgusting TV show. And why in the world is it on the history channel, which, by the way, seems to be a misnomer, since they have little history on it anymore.

There's a problem here

He's a jerk but he's right. If they were a bunch of guys who drank tea and did catch and release all day just for the heck of it I doubt that would be televison fodder. I'd rethink that Steve Irwin thing. This is the man who took his newborn infant into a gator pen, one trip and the baby would have been lunch. His daughter has been pimped out since she was 6. Can't he just donate food to hungry children instead of worrying about alligators, which are going to be killed whether he agrees or not?

Christian

the same alligators that have attacked 2 kids in 5 days? are these the alligators you are referring to?

Chris

Go figure a clueless Hollywood actor. Maybe someone should tell him this show is not about controlling the population, but the livelihood made by these men and women who hunt and sell the gators they catch.

Sally

Dominic needs to come over to my house and remove the big 9 ft. alligator that is sunning itself. It is on the lake at the right behind my residence.. I am afraid to go in my backyard today to water my flowers. He can take the alligator home for a pet.

Rhubino

He does have a point about demonizing reptiles as monsters. I don't think the 55th Annual Texas Bunny Round-up would be too popular.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Those alligators are no different than cows (killed to be skinned and eaten).

L

Swamp People is one of my favorite shows. The culling of alligators is legal and regulated. No gators are tortured. You have to kill them quickly with a pistol or rifle before you put them in your boat or you will be eaten. The show is informative about the dangers of alligators and the life of the Cajun people.

GeniusMachine

Wow, way to try and claw your way back to relevance, you has-been.

tremers

so if you don't like the show don't watch. This is how the Cajuns make a living...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments