Steven Tyler

QUITTING

'American Idol'

7/12/2012 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0712_steven_tyler_AI
Steven Tyler will NOT return to the judge's table on "American Idol" ... and has compared the show to a deranged bunny killer.

Tyler completed two full seasons on the show ... beginning in 2010.

Tyler has issued a statement saying, "After some long ... hard ... thoughts ... I’ve decided it’s time for me to let go of my mistress ‘American Idol’ before she boils my rabbit.”

The comment is a reference to the movie "Fatal Attraction" ... in which an obsessed woman kills her lover's daughter's pet rabbit.

Tyler continued, "I strayed from my first love, AEROSMITH, and I’m back – but instead of begging on my hands and knees, I’ve got two fists in the air and I’m kicking the door open with my band. The next few years are going to be dedicated to kicking some serious ass – the ultimate in auditory takeover."

He adds, "On Nov. 6, we are unleashing our new album, Music from Another Dimension on the Earth, Moon, Mars, and way beyond the stars. IDOL was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it ... Now it’s time to bring Rock Back. ERMAHGERD.”

"A.I." co-creator and executive producer Simon Fuller released a statement saying, "I completely understand his desire to get back to his life as the singer in America's greatest-ever rock band. AMERICAN IDOL will miss him!”

0712_remembering_steven_tyler_idol_footer

SICKOFRELITYSTUFF

I will no longer watch AL. Last 2 years were not good. The winners were wrong. People are suppose to vote for the BEST not a popularity contest.
As for the judges, glad they are gone. Adam Lambert? NO NO NO

gofurself

good riddance

Linda

Oh no, I loved Steven on the show! Always a Steven Tyler fan...

johnnyg

JLo knows a lot about the biz and she is mighty easy on the eyes! She will be missed.

krktoday

Steven was a complete waste of time to me

aciffar@aol.com

The last screw holding him together just fell off

PopPop

America's second greatest-ever rock band . . . Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are the undisputed champs!

karlew

Finally, finally, finally. WTF was he thinking? Glad he's wrestled his head out of is ass.

Joe

YEA!!!!!! Now all the underage girls are safe from the perv!!!

AggieEx67

Well, maybe we can have a judge that really gives good feedback to the contestants since all he did was agree with what the other judges said or said it was Beautiful.

IceGypsy

That's too bad, I loved him on there. Hope things go well with Aerosmith. It's been pretty rocky the past few years.....and plz AI No Charlie Sheen!!

Alex Aerni

I know this probably won't happen, but now that Steven Tyler has officially announced that he is quitting the American Idol judges panel, I hope they choose Elvis Costello as his replacement. I've gotten really into Mr. Costello's music lately. As I said, however, they'll probably choose someone else instead.

tremers

the show should go away... it is past its time

charlesmartel1

Excellent. He'll probably be at our State Fair playing in a year or two!!

sweetnspicy

Being a judge on Idol seems to go to peoples' heads, except for Randy Jackson, the people that were "has beens" before they became judges start to think they are "all that" because fans are screaming for them when they arrive places. So, that must mean America is dying for them to run out and make new albums, schedule concert tours again, right? Wrong ... it means they're excited to see the judges of A.I. when they arrive. JLo has even gone so far as to to dump her loyal husband, who she was happily married to for umpteen years, for a child/boy toy dancer. A.I. fame went straight to her head. When they do quit A.I. and real life smacks them in the face, it should be an eye opening experience to say the least. JLo is the queen of auto-tune/lipsyncing - she has no voice. Aerosmith was a great band (key word WAS).... and as we saw with JLo she had to pull in Enrique Eglasias (or however you spell that) for her tour because no one would pay to see her as a headlining act.... I think the same will happen for Aerosmith. A.I. fame has diluted both of their minds, imo.