« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Olympian Destinee Hooker

I'm PROUD of My Name!

'People Can Be Childish'

8/1/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_destinee_hooker_getty
U.S. Olympic volleyball badass Destinee Hooker knows people are amused by her name ... she knows some people laugh ... but she doesn't care ... she believes it's a "blessing."

Hooker -- who's CRUSHING it in London right now (indoor team is undefeated!) -- tells TMZ, "When it comes to my name, I honestly find nothing wrong with it. I love my name."

Still, Destinee admits she's not deaf to the jokes ... "I have been dealing with it since I was a child. People can be childish."

There was almost no Destinee Hooker at all ... the 24-year-old tells us she nearly died at birth, and when she survived, her father was inspired to give her the name "Destinee."

"Since I was a blessing, [my father] spelled it uniquely. So I am thankful to be here and glad my Dad gave me the name."

Destinee adds, "No reporters have asked me about my name. You are the first :) thank you for asking by the way."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

obama'saracist

you go girl you just rock good luck and congrads on a job well done

Jsmiley

I chuckled at the name but its not a big deal people need to get over simple stuff......

Cujeaux

It's not so much the name, it's how it's spelled. Destinee. BAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Calinative

Destinee is beautiful and an amazing athelete. I think her name just makes her stand out more.

Mimi

Only small minds would find this find this funny past 3 seconds. She clearly said her Dad wanted a unique spelling for what is commonly spelt Destiny, yet those falling off their asses seem to be having a had time with that too. You make it so easy for the Destinees of this world to excel. Stay simple. It helps us a lot.

Marisol

You are destined to be hooked up with greatness. I admire your strength, your spirit and your belief in yourself. DESTINEE 2012

If sense were common everyone would have it.

She's proud of that name. Shocker.

Big mouth open in mid-yell, another shocker.
Thought it was one of the big-mouth williams sisters.

Donald Ray

What MORON, thinks there's only ONE way to spell a person's name?

Donald Ray

GAMEPRO, that's because you're an ADULT, NOT a JUVENILE. you know, like people that find PASSING GAS FUNNY?

michelle Hooker

Its amazing how many people make fun of the name. When I married my husband my grandmother begged me not to take his last name...HOOKER. I am just glad I had sons and not daughters...its easier to name them and not make so much fun of the name. My husbands grandmothers name was Iona most people dont believe it but its true!

rob

better then HO

Kate Plinton Roman

One of my best childhood girlfriends last name is "Hooker". What she will tell you is... and I quote...
"It's my name,,, not my game". Look her up, she is a very accomplished jazz musician in the NJ & NY area. LaurenHooker.com

I Love, love... LOVE your show... btw!
Kate 'Plinton" Roman

Kate Plinton Roman

ps... Good for you Destinee Hooker... you should be proud of your name and your accompliments!

backfire

Destinee is so beautiful and sooooo incredibly talented, its been my pleasure to watch her in all the volley ball games so far. I don't care what her name is -- she is outstanding.

fred

Yeah, people can be childish. Like when they make up a new spelling. Anyway, what exactly is happening here? Is this just about Destinee or is it Hooker, too? She only mentions Destinee but that whole name is awful.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments