« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Olympian Destinee Hooker

I'm PROUD of My Name!

'People Can Be Childish'

8/1/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_destinee_hooker_getty
U.S. Olympic volleyball badass Destinee Hooker knows people are amused by her name ... she knows some people laugh ... but she doesn't care ... she believes it's a "blessing."

Hooker -- who's CRUSHING it in London right now (indoor team is undefeated!) -- tells TMZ, "When it comes to my name, I honestly find nothing wrong with it. I love my name."

Still, Destinee admits she's not deaf to the jokes ... "I have been dealing with it since I was a child. People can be childish."

There was almost no Destinee Hooker at all ... the 24-year-old tells us she nearly died at birth, and when she survived, her father was inspired to give her the name "Destinee."

"Since I was a blessing, [my father] spelled it uniquely. So I am thankful to be here and glad my Dad gave me the name."

Destinee adds, "No reporters have asked me about my name. You are the first :) thank you for asking by the way."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

LettheNamesJoseandMariabe#1onTop

Anyone heard of Thomas Hooker?

Born in England, he was a prominent Puritan colonial leader, who founded the Colony of Connecticut after dissenting with Puritan leaders in Massachusetts. That's the funniest name ever in American history!

The 17th folks don't know what the word 'hooker' meant back then.

rev

All of these stupid comments about her name. Her name was special because she almost died at birth. Regardless of how her first name is spelled, her father saw her destiny regardless of how her named is spelled. No one has any say about her name because she is not your child. She must be doing something right because she made it to the Olympics!!!!

cuban23

The comments made about Destinee's name is quite disturbing. Only someone with a filthy mind would joke about her name. Her father wanted her name to be special so he spelled it differently. Where is the problem? Her story is phenomenal and anyone who can poke fun is simply childish. What baffles me is, Destinee is fighting everyday at the olympics representing USA and this is how you show your respect. This is just upsetting.

Lily

Lily

jokerchick

"Youshie Take****a" is funnier

RAZZY

REALLY ! MOST BLACKS HAVE NAMES THAT SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF JIBERISH TRASH
! SO THIS GALS NAME SOUNDS
REASONABLE ! AT LEAST YOU CAN
PRONOUNCE HER NAME EASY !

Bruna Poczapski

That's why Americans are a joke to the rest of the world. "Dude, her name is Destinee Hooker LMFAO". Seriously, it's not funny and you're pathetic.

Holly

Who cares I love ur name and I have looked up to you. You are an amazing athlete and I did gymnastics all my 10 years of part of my life and it's helping me so much in vball.

shelia

That is o.k. Destiny Hooker,you are off the chain in my book.Some folks will never grow up.It could just be haters.

Jamal

******s are obsessed with giving their children names that will surely hurt them in their lives. Unbelievable.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5