« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Belgian Cycling Federation

We're ASHAMED Of

Our Drunken Athlete

8/9/2012 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0809_pcn_gijs_van_hoecke_belgian_cyclingBelgian cyclist Gijs Van Hoecke didn't just stain the crotchel region of his pants during a drunken post-event nightclub bender in London ... he stained the good reputation of the Belgian Cycling Federation ... so says the org.

We posted the photos ... showing a completely wrecked Van Hoecke being carried out of a British nightclub earlier this week ... barely able stand or keep his eyes open.

We reached out to the BCF for comment ... and a rep told us, "I can let you know that the Belgian Cycling Federation regrets the conduct of [Gijs Van Hoecke] after the competitions."

In fact, the Belgian Olympic Committee reportedly put GVH on a plane and flew him home after the pics came out.

According to reports, the cyclist told his home paper, "I made a big mistake. I'm happy my parents didn't tell me off. They understand that I needed this" ... but since we don't speak Dutch, TMZ can't confirm the accuracy of the translation.

Het spijt me.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Michael

Great job TMZ! You chose to single out an athlete for partying AFTER his race! Huge story Harvey! Way to go! Yet, when there is a breaking story, Artie Lange's suicide attempt, you don't say a word. Great work Harvey!

laffnbear

Actually most Belgians speak French.

ShrinkWrap

At least he got drunk after his race. After putting in long hours and years of training, he was entitled to get drunk. TMZ, you are just getting trashier every day.

Ashlyn

They need to get over it. Big deal, he got totally wasted. It happens sometimes. Almost everyone has had one of those nights. Like people have mentioned, it may not be his proudest moment, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. What's really shameful is how quick the Belgian Olympic Committee is to turn their back on one of their own. From all these comments no one think it's a big deal. It's shameful to take steroids during the Olympics. It's shameful to cheat during the Olympics. One incident of drinking too much, not so much. It's not like he was causing harm to others or drinking and driving. Give the guy a break. We've all been there. I find it pretty funny and sad that his own people aren't standing behind him but the users on TMZ are lol. It speaks volumes.

Stefanie

Wel Het spijt me, means I'm sorry in Dutch.
We do speak Dutch Oval Beach. Its the same as Flemish ;)

EastCoastChopper

Dude had low tolerance to booze! This happens when you're on a 14 month training cycle... Passed out is better than axin-a-fool-up-inda-club like half the pro athletes do every weekend!

DaveT

Nothing for a state to be ashamed of, young dude just had too much to drink, the world isn't watching and condemning Belgium based on a young guy getting too loaded, they should chill.

NoBozo

If I were Bjorn Borg I'd be more offended. At least this idiot wasn't wearing his country's name on his blue briefs.

ManiacalZebra

He should be more embarrassed about wearing Bjorn Borg undies.

Buckaroobonzai

Remember folks.... TMZ did this to the poor kid. TMZ did this to him, and THEN reports on how they destroyed the poor kid.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

Freaking drunk.. what the%^&*() is wrong with people where they throw away everything they worked for for whatever's supposed to be at the bottom of a liquor bottle that's never there! ; (

From Belgium

Het spijt me = I'm sorry

From Belgium

Het spijt me = I'm sorry

From Belgium

@ Daniel , Belgian people do spek dutch
it's like american people speak English
Flemish is an sort of dialect

BelgianSupporter

Most of the Belgian supporters don't blame Van Hoecke for his 'mistake'. Even journalists are supporting him. They blame the BOIC that they work out their frustrations about our results on Gijs by sending him home. The translation is correct by the way

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments