« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ryan Lochte

Jeah! Copyright Battle

Looming with Compton Rapper

8/18/2012 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0817-ryan_lochte_mc_eihtU.S. Olympic hero Ryan Lochte might have an unexpected speed bump on his way to trademarking the phrase "Jeah!" in the form of 90s rap star MC Eiht, who claims the phrase was his long before it was Lochte's.

Eiht tells TMZ he coined the phrase back in 1988 and is insulted to hear Lochte is trying to claim it as his own now. Eiht tells us, "Why try and trademark something his ass didn’t even create? I am mad that he isn’t giving me proper recognition for taking my saying. He is just disrespectful."

The Compton's Most Wanted rapper tells TMZ he's not so much concerned about the money as he is the "respect and the truth."

Eiht says he plans on sending a cease and desist letter urging Lochte to stop using his phrase.

Lochte's manager tells us, "Ryan has been using JEAH for years," adding, "This is the first I have heard of this claim by MC Eiht."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ABB

Wigger vs. (well, you know)

beezlebum

MC Eiht has been saying that since Lochte was in diapers. Listen to some of his music. Lochte is a moron.

Phishie from Philly

O please! Why didnt MC copyright it back in the 80's then. It seems like MC has no respect for others but wants people to respect him. MC was to stupid to copyright it in the 80's but smart enough to go after Lachte after he elevated the word. Something MC couldn't do. MC is just trying to jump on a fast profit. You said your not doing it for the money. Tell someone else that lie. It seems that your trying to revive your career. I have a new name for you; MC Jackas#%.
Phishie from Philly

Michelle

Team Lochte!!! Screw the no name, criminal, jag off from Compton!

Kev the Realist

Yeah, What a surpise another loser ghetto rat, with a claim for a trademark. Let's see if your claim to fame was your a 90's Rapper???? Hey dude, you low life piece of trash, its 2012 where you been for 20 years, back to the hood Bro, you aint done **** in 20 years... LOSER

shailabh suman

MC is just trying to jump on a fast profit.

Who the Hell is Khloe

The only reason that has been even knew Loctne was using the word was he was cruzin around th TMZ boards. Seriously who is this?

Phoenicks

Fact is you know Lochte got the idea to say JEAH from listening to some rapper say it in a song (Jay-Z pops immediately in my head as someone "mainstream" that I bet he got it from).
The clown just needs to face up to the fact that Hip Hop, the culture, is not something that we take kindly to people just dropping into, picking bits and pieces from, and using for yourself to make money.

lolalove

I'm sure everyone knows that Lochte didn't invent the phase, and I'm positive that no one cares.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

This isht is gonna be STRAIGHT UP MENACE... jeah.

texasnubian

I really like Ryan Lochte but I am glad that this is coming out because when I first heard Lochte saying "Jeah", I immediately thought MC Eiht. He didn't credit him then when he was asked where the word came from. Anyone who was a Menace II Society fan knows the song Straight up Menace which was actually a song that played on the radio back in the day. It's wasn't just some hood song that nobody knew about. Hey, I even thought about how great it would be back in the day to have a cool pillow, but I didn't invent it so I am not going around claiming it as my own. So maybe Lochte didn't know any better, but now that he is being called out, he needs to get a new word.

Bridget

I searched "Jeah" on imdb under quotes. And I got one result. It was on the video game grand theft auto in 2004. I also looked up MC Eiht. And he was a voice on that video game. Just throwing that out there...

rico

For Ryan it should be JERK, cause thats what he is.

Joan K

You have got to be kidding me, two idiots fighting over who can use a word. I have a word for these two fools and it isn't printable.

laffnbear

Some folks just don't deserve respect.

So...... If three people call you a "rapper", that makes it so?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments