« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ryan Lochte

Jeah! Copyright Battle

Looming with Compton Rapper

8/18/2012 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0817-ryan_lochte_mc_eihtU.S. Olympic hero Ryan Lochte might have an unexpected speed bump on his way to trademarking the phrase "Jeah!" in the form of 90s rap star MC Eiht, who claims the phrase was his long before it was Lochte's.

Eiht tells TMZ he coined the phrase back in 1988 and is insulted to hear Lochte is trying to claim it as his own now. Eiht tells us, "Why try and trademark something his ass didn’t even create? I am mad that he isn’t giving me proper recognition for taking my saying. He is just disrespectful."

The Compton's Most Wanted rapper tells TMZ he's not so much concerned about the money as he is the "respect and the truth."

Eiht says he plans on sending a cease and desist letter urging Lochte to stop using his phrase.

Lochte's manager tells us, "Ryan has been using JEAH for years," adding, "This is the first I have heard of this claim by MC Eiht."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

royalredus

A man who calls himself MC EIHT is concerned about respect? Ooooooookaaaaaay....

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

There won't be a copyright battle because you can't copyright a word.

Carl

Whoever gets the trademark should go to Sweden. They pronounce their "Y's" like "J's", so "yeah" sounds like "jeah" when they say it.

karlew

He's being using jeah for years? Iv'e been using that for years before this little boy wasbo. As a matter of fact I'm sure my mother in law has video with me saying it back in 88 or 87. Maybe I should sue him since I have evidence that it's mine.

No comment

Battle of the mental midgets. Only the cast of SouthPark would use this stupid word and only to make fun of it.

Does Eiht have it trademarked? Because you invent a phrase if you don't trademark it some else can and will to cash in.

GoodOnPaper

copyrighting words? give me a break.

KMD

I knew immediately MC EIHT originally used that phrase! I witnesses the birth of Rap/HipHop. While he's known for "Jeah" sounds like he and/or his legal team didn't protect it. Unfortunately, it's FAIR GAME. Snooze = LOSE in this case. That's horrible. Didn't Paris Hilton to that to her dear friend Nicole with "THAT's HOT?" I think so.

EL BOOGIE

“The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I’m doin’ now, man for more years than I know. They played it like that in the shanties and in their jukee joints, and nobody paid it no mind ’til I goosed it up. I got it from them. Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said if I ever got to the place where I could feel like old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” -Elvis Presley

Billy Beroux

everybody shut up

Billy Beroux

LOL at people not knowing what they're talking about

Ashlyn

I'm sick of people trademarking words. That is the stupidest thing ever.

elguapo

Another dumb ass crackhead!
Noone outside of compton has heard of this crackhead.

Ryder702

Mc eiht been using that phrase since the 80's just because half of you don't know who he is doesn't change the fact he has had it copyrighted since the 80's only people that know his music know what's up all you other people don't know wtf your talking about.

elguapo

I wonder if I can copyright the individual letters A through Z. Or does sesame street already own the for copyright them?

belinda123

he says that in the song from the movie meance to socitey the song stars off like this wake your punk a** up jeah for the 94

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments