Phyllis Diller

Dead at 95

8/20/2012 12:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0820_phyllis_diller_article_tmz_5
Comedian Phyllis Diller -- who paved the way for today's female comics -- died this morning, TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Diller tell us the comedian died in her sleep at her L.A. home, surrounded by family. She was 95.

We're told Diller had recently fallen, hurting her wrist and hip -- but her rep says the injury had nothing to do with her death.

Diller suffered a heart attack in 1999 and was later fitted with a pacemaker.

Phyllis began her career all the way back in 1952 -- and rose to fame with her TV specials alongside Bob Hope in the 1960s.

0820_phyllis_diller_footerLater that decade, Phyllis starred in her own show called "The Phyllis Diller Show" ... as well as a variety show called "The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show." She was also a regular on "Laugh In."

She also posed for Playboy -- but the pics were never published.

Diller remained spunky to the very end, famously appearing in the 2005 movie "The Aristocrats," telling an x-rated joke ... better than comics half her age.

Joan Rivers recently appeared on "Watch What Happens Live" and said, Diller "broke the way for every woman comedian.”

Last time we shot Diller was in 2011, and she was still sharp as a tack -- cracking jokes and reminiscing about her "protegee" Joan Rivers. She even named her favorite comedian of all time.

082012_diller_launch

Jo

Oh how I loved that laugh and oh how will have and will miss Phyllis Diller, she was soooo funny. I am seeing my generation of comedians and stars disappear on a daily basis and so far I do not think there are many who can replace them.
Rest in peace Phyllis, you may be gone, but never forgotten.

Dawn

A woman who taught us that real beauty is on the inside.....and what a beauty she was!!!!! Rip Ms. Diller...Thanks for the laughs!

Lindy

One of the best!

RIP

jeff

Phyllis Diller is a true comedy legend. She was loved by many. McCartney, Diller, Doors with Manson, Gibson. These are big time celebrities. I can't believe I'm saying this...Good job TMZ!(it hurts to admit it) I know after typing this, they will go back to pushing their agendas down our throats tomorrow. We'll see.

Cheryl A.

I LOVE Phyllis Diller! Rest in Peace, lovely woman.

Condolences to your family and friends.

Poule

If like me you had a gran mother with great great spirit, Phyllis can remind you of her.
They die, but memory never fades.
Take good care of you old folks cause that's where we are heading to !!

David

Although I will mourn her loss as many will...now that I know this I have started trying Google naked pics of her from playboy you(TMZ) mentioned--I couldn't help myself. She'll still be missed.

Rich

This is so very sad. Being 57 it seems that all the people I grew up with have all left. I remember Ms, Diller way before she changed her look. From Sullivan to carson and the strange kind of laugh she had. Sometimes you think that some people will go on forever. I guess in there own way they do. God bless Ms, Diller. Make em laugh in Heaven.

Abby

I interviewed her years ago, when I was working as the entertainment editor for a newspaper in Atlantic City. She was a very cool lady and a definite pioneer for women in comedy. Yours was a life well lived, Phyllis. I know you will kill 'em in heaven!

retard

Our loss is heaven's gain. Pie Rodney in the face for me, if you don't mind.

mo'nique

Phyllis Diller was absolutely amazing, and I really loved watching her on TV over many years. One thing though: Miss Diller was a comedienne, and not a comedian, which refers to guys.

Chuck D of Valpo

I got to see her perform her stand up comedy show back in 1977. What blew me away was her performance on a grand piano.

joecool

Poor Fang. He'll be all alone now. RIP Phyllis, you were a funny lady.

Gil

First saw her at the Bon Soir Club in NYC in the late 1950's. She was great back then and always was. RIP.

retard