Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Previous 15 Comments | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

Sapphiegirl

I'm sure Kanye or Kim has sucked Ryan's frank and beans to be considered for this job!

Sapphiegirl

AMERICAN IDOL TOTALLY SCKS WITHOUT SIMON

Maileeann

Sounds like the end for IDOL.

Maileeann

Sounds like the end for IDOL.

Gunther

Awesome! Now I won't be tempted to ever watch again

Carol

No token white?

Rita29

I would love to see Kanye West on American Idol. He would add a lot of unique feedback and influence on the show. I like the idea of having A-list musicians this season! I think that Kanye and Niki would actually bring a lot of viewership. I was excited when my Dish coworker suggested this show, I’ve been watching ever since. This year I’m excited to watch on my Hopper, which will automatically record it with the Prime Time Anytime feature. I love this feature because it records all prime time shows on major networks. It’s so convenient and effortless that I don’t have to set up timers, or be home to watch the show.

Scurry

We won't watch if kanye is on th show at all

Sin D

wut he gunna do?...judge how dey mummble likes him?

Nancy

Kanye West is a racist and hates white people...
He bangs white girls just to stick it to white people...

J

This is the end of a show that should have canceled itself years ago. It is so old.. not one cares anymore. And for Kanye...I'm sorry but he is one ugly dude.

JP