Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Mandy

I can see him & Mooriah hookin up LOL

stereogirl

I have never said this about any of the other possible judges but I feel I must now. If Kanye takes the judge's chair, I will tune out until he leaves. I hate that dbag.

buckwheat

He looks good with that noose around his neck

lowcountryep

Shouldn't judges be individuals that actually know and/or have talent?

verlinda

OMG say it isn't so.....

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Just bring in Judge Judy for crying out loud. We need to elimate the fuktards getting on AI in the first week and will probably clean up the music industry while she's at it.

barnyardhumor

Surprised they'd even consider him because since he's dating that skank Kardashian, half the viewers will tune out because they won't support anything to do with Kimmy. Looks like he's got a nice set of false teeth.

Gidge9

You get a bonifide Diva like Mariah and then ghetto douch it up with too of the tackiest, can't even call them artists..The young idols need actual artists who can actualy sing, not cookie cut auto tuned douchebags. The past few seasons show there is a need for country and latin mentor/judges. I know i wouldn't wnat either of those 2 mentoring my child.

jen

what? is the show up for the BET awards now........ewwwww.....oh, and keith urban,or any other white man, dont even think about sitting in between thoses two....

Kim

I hope he does it just to piss the racist bastards off, while making 18 mil. I love it!!! Please do it Kanye, that will put a lot of racist, backwood, white trash hick in a tail spin.

Bruno

Kanye on Idol? No thanks. He'd never let a contestant get a word in edge wise.

Bwoy dem

No please... for the love of GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey

I always thought that you had to have knowledge of what you are judging before you can be a Judge. You also have to be impartial. Although J Lo was very partial to hispanic girls Kanye is a flat out Racist Pig and Minaj is a talentless Hack
It was a great show while it lasted but all good things must come to an end

Luke

Why would anyone watch if he was a judge? The guy is a jerk.

bionicduck

No white person will win as long as that racist n|gger is involved.