Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Dashize

Wow Really - Wouldnt you have to had been an American Idol to Judge Idol - both Nicki and Kayne Holy End of Days are NEAR!!!!!!!

edolphs

Well then I won't tune in at all. That is the kiss of death considering how much he disrespects other artists.

Majestik

Just what we need, more of Kim Kraptashian because you know, if he makes being a judge she'll be sitting in the audience screaming her head off just like she did for her brother on Dancing. Then it truly will NOT be about the contestants anymore, it'll become a prop for Kim's attention whoring.

Marvin

Can you say , scraping the bottom of the barrel . Looks like I won't be watching.

David

Another ghetto person on this family show? Anyway, I havent watched AI in about 5 years.

Cathy

I was gonna give watching Mariah a try, but once I heard the names Nikki and Kanye..I AM SOOOO DONE WITH THIS JOKE OF A SHOW !!!!!!....I guess after they do that we won't have to worry about it being on next year !!! yay !!!!!...you need real singing talent to judge a singing talent show..it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out...

Don Martin

My Gawd! Say it isn't so. This s*** sucking whack job on American Idol? AI must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to get anyone to sit in the judges chair. If this asshat knew anything about talent he wouldn't be doing Kim baby!

mintjulep

I only ever watch the auditions and the final 10.. If Kanye gets drafted, I won't be watching.. Period.

Vernon P. Alarcon

dis foo have sum big teefs, dats why he can't keep his mouf shut

sweetbaby

NO WAY, KANYE!!!!!!

He is an epic pig......

Zarley

AI is a piece of **** and so are all the overpriced judges.Let em eat cake for there supper.

really! really?

It really doesn't matter if Kanye is signed for AI. They lost me at Minaj/ Mariah. A little too ghetto for my taste. Kanye without the two diva hags might be ok.

Jordangamesix

I personally wouldn't have a problem with Kanye being a judge (with me being a fan of Kanye lol). He's talented, he may not be able to sing well lol, but i'm sure he's got a ear for talent.

S D M F

talk about coming across as desperate!!!
American Idol is a non player any more!

Jodi

Kanye need to go back to his hip hop world and stay out of mainstream entertainment. He's laughable at best. He may be good at producing music but that's it. I don't watch American Idol but if I did I definitely wouldn't watch if he was a judge.