Britney Spears

'Medical Issue'

Is Behind Conservatorship

8/23/2012 12:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0823_britney_spears_article_tmzThere's a reason Britney Spears' conservatorship has lasted 4 1/2 years with no end in sight -- it's because she has a serious medical issue that prevents her from making consistently sound decisions ... TMZ has learned.

Documents were filed Tuesday in the conservatorship case, urgently asking the judge to seal certain records.  In the papers, lawyers for the conservators called the records "highly sensitive," adding "irreparable harm and immediate danger" would befall Britney if the documents weren't sealed.

Multiple sources with firsthand knowledge tell TMZ ... the records are medical documents outlining Britney's condition and treatment.

We're told the singer has a disorder affecting her personality that can affect her state of mind.  We're told she is doing "extremely well" but needs the safety net of a conservatorship.

Sources tell us there is no plan to end the conservatorship, and the judge is completely down with it.

FYI ... there are 2 components of the conservatorship -- the personal and the business.  The personal conservatorship allows Jamie Spears and Jason Trawick to make life decisions for her.  The business conservatorship involves managing Britney's career and fortune.  As for the business side, we're told it will probably go on indefinitely because it has been incredibly successful.

Junee

I wonder if having 2 children in 2(ish) years would have an effect on her mental health?

Speaking from personal experience, after I had children (3 in 3 years), my mental health started to decline drastically. It was like a switch was flipped.

Good luck to Brittney, it's a long hard road out .....

Diane

If she's incapable of making decisions, why is she a judge on X-Factor? If I was turned away by just her vote, I'd be very upset now - hell, I'd SUE!

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

I didn't realize that "low IQ" was technically considered a "medical condition." She's just stupid, and by the way, everyone already knows it. Oh, but the other thing I learned from her shrink (all us psychiatrists talk about you freaks even though we're not supposed to, ha ha ha) is that she's schizophrenic. So, schizo and retard....charming combination!

Elle

The medical issue is she's nuts.

kimmy

Schizophrenia, she is way too drugged up for it to be bipolar.

SSinOC

+2 for MKUltra slave. The "husband" is there to keep her on track and to make sure the money keeps coming in.

meme

Isn't she marrying Trawick?

TheMachine1

I bet the people running the conservatorship screw her out of all her money just as fast as she would herself.

tgrfan42069

the media lifted her up to drive her to the ground hard.im glad her life is back on track.the media is longing for this conservatorship to end so they can force her into the ground again.tell the paps and media to **** off brit.

who_me

I gotta ask: if she weren't britney spears and wasn't worth millions, what would happen? Would she be lounging on skid row with no shelter or food? Would anyone even care, let alone the court system which we taxpayers finance? She can't be the only one with this medical issue. I hope the publicly financed system finds conservators for everyone else with this medical issue.

zoe

Like anyone is surprised Britney is bi-polar? Hello, remember when she shaved her head and went on a rage with that umbrella? Poor thing. I can't imagine mental illness on top of such early and overwhelming stardom. Hopefully, she'll find happiness in her husband and latest career choices.

paigehop

I would guess schizoaffective (bipolar/schizo) or a personality disorder. She doesn't appear to be particularly bitchy, which normally goes along with females and bipolar.

SeaSurf

This sounds shady to me. Are you sure theyre just not trying to control her money.

O_o

kudos to britney and her fam for recognizing this and for taking measures to address the issues at hand. i'm pretty impressed. a few other starlets could use a lil' help of this nature.

laura

This has bipolar disorder, or borderline personality disorder, written all over it.