Katy Perry

$20 Mil 'Idol' Offer

REJECTED

8/25/2012 7:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0825_katy_perry_AI_getty
"American Idol" desperately wanted Katy Perry to fill one of its vacant judge's seats, so much so,  they offered her $20 MILLION ... but she she still turned it down ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ ... "Idol" pursued Perry relentlessly for weeks, eager to get her to sign on the dotted line. According to our sources, they started the offer at $18 million, but threw even more cash on the table ... $20 MILLION for a one year contract!!!

We're told Katy made it clear ... she was NOT interested and money wasn't the issue.

Sources tell us ... aside from the fact that Katy's schedule made it impossible to do the show ... she just didn't think it was right career choice for her.

Mariah must be one pissed, $18 million judge.

Truth is

Good because she has zero singing talent.....studio commercial made singer

dimes

She's not nearly washed up enough yet to need American Idol.

Meggie24

Remember when American Ido, the X Factor, the Voice, America's Got Talent, etc used to be about finding new artists? Now the focus is entirely on the judges and the gobs of money & perks they're getting. It's too bad - these used to be great venues for up-and-coming talent to get exposure & the limelight but of course the egocentric judges all hog it for themselves, usually to revive their stalled careers.

help this young woman

Save 20 mil - ask Linds to do it. She'll sign for $40.00 and a pitcher of White Lightning.

GabyO

Perry maybe a crap singer and manufactured BUT she is still on top. Mariah is a used to be but still NOT worth 18 million. Its not about the judges...but the talent they put on and obviously it's lacking since none of their "winners" have made it big lately.

who-me

This chick is obnoxious.

boricua4669

She's not the right person for Idol .... I don't know what the people from Idol is thinking ? Hire an experience singer( like Aretha ) to fill that position ! Singers like her didn't achieved that long career for nothing ...

DaveT

Mariah's a humble sweetheart she'll just congratulate Katy on the offer, Katy's too new in her career to start sitting on panels on TV shows either way, her managers gave her wise advise, best thing for her career right now is to be out there touring and on stage.....'cause I kissed a girl and I liked i-it....

BB not bb

Yeah she is too hot right now to just sit and be a judge. She has people anxious for her to perfrom and make records. I doubt she has anything interesting to say or an intersting personality either, so I don't think she would be a good judge. It would just be the novelty factor.

She seems kind of cold hearted and like she woudln't want to get inolved in other people's careers. Russel Brand is such a weirdo that he might make a funny judge. He loves to gab also.

He is actaully a well spoken guy like he has had a good education. I think Katy is so new to the whole show biz thing that she is just learning how it works herself. I don't think she is seasoned enough to be a judge.

I don't think she needs money either. Once you have millions, more millions seem to be irrelevant.

gill

Are you kidding? She "sings" cheesy, annoying, makes u want to scream, pop tunes. I would have never watched if she was on.

Everyones~A~Star

Smart girl Idol blows goats, has ****ty judges and judging an idol is a sure sign your a washed up has been.

bobbyozone

I'm really glad to hear that. Now I can actually respect her as more than just a sex object.

Canadasux

Simple: K.P. didn't want to do "Idol." It's her choice. Now, leave her alone.

Ashlyn

Idol is coming off as pretty desperate. I thought they already decided on Mariah and Nicky for the female judges? I've said it before and I'll say it again... Idol needs to end already!

Truth

BITCH CANT SING HERSELF... HOW THE F*CK CAN THIS LIP SYNCER CHOOSE REAL TALENT. THO SHE DOES KNOW HOW TO WORK THE AUTO-TUNE MACHINE PRETTY DAMN WELL I HEAR... #TRUTH!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments