'American Idol'

Randy Jackson

OUT AS JUDGE

8/31/2012 8:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0830_randy_jackson_american_idol_articleThe dawg days are over at "American Idol" ... TMZ has learned Randy Jackson is officially LEAVING the judge's table ... but will still remain a part of the show as a "mentor."

Sources connected to "Idol" tell us ... there's some concern among the brass that Jackson is not well-suited for the mentor role ... but they feel they need him because he's the glue that helps keep the show together.

As for his replacement ... sources tell us Nicki Minaj's deal is 99% done ... but still not a sure thing just yet.

We're told the honchos are keenly aware Mariah Carey isn't a fan of Minaj and doesn't want her at the table ... a fact producers LOVE because they think the conflict and tension will be good for the show.

And ... we now know A.I. will once again go with a 4th judge ...  we're told producers are gunning for someone from the country music world for the third seat.  Seat number 4 is up in the air.

Finally, altough "A.I." wanted Diddy or Kanye West ... we're told they are definitely out of the picture.

Thiiiiiiiiis ... is getting intense.

0831_randy_jackson_american_idol_judge_footer

kitnplayn

Randy Jackson IS American Idol. If you think I'm gonna watch that eyesore named Nicki Minaj, you might want to think again.

Ratings Needed

Ugh, Nicki Minaj! They've got to be kidding!!! Bye bye A.I.

Michell

Mistake!!! I was out anyway after they announced Mariah as a judge. Can't stand her, won't watch!

deanne

Just cancel the show and be done with it. So many sharks have been jumped it is Sad...

So AI is done. Stick a fork in it.

Kim

Keith Urban has signed on to be a judge, you guys forgot to mention that. I'm a huge fan of him, so I'll start to watch the show again.

JM Denver

American Idol's days are over. Didn't take American Idol to catapult tiny Justin Bieber to fame.

Dre

I seriously refuse to watch American Idol anymore... it doesn't have the same charm as the earlier seasons. Randy, Paula, and Simon <3

Kayla Marie

No, Country Music Singer Keith Urban has filled a chair at the judgeing table too!!

nof

It's a great move keeping Randy Jackson -

IMO he's been the show's MVP.

-An ability to adjust as the show goes thru evolvement and change.

If the show became about Simon - Randy went with it - even embraced and fed into that.

Wherever the show went - Randy took it in and went with it.

In his own right Randy is a potent force in the field.

But has he ever gotten his just Due - doubt it.

When I was in high school a point guard from across the way made an entire state championship team run -

He wasn't all-league, all-state, didn't score the most points - he was subtle and nuanced.

But when it came time to hit the Dagger that would put them over the finish line - believe me it was Wally Halas that would hit it.

Wally finally got his just due - winning the
Bob Cousy Award for best-point-guard back in the day.

To me this is who Randy Jackson is - the best point guard in America.

Congratulations to A.I. hitting another home run.

Douglasfur

I've been a fan for a long time but no longer. I won't watch it now. Nicki Minaj, really? Who cares!

Svenghooli

I'd leave a sinking ship too. The producers should write a "How to Ruin a Highly Popular TV Show" book.

MsSharon1031

Since when does AI leak confidential info to tabloids. It isn't true about Randy until either he comes out publicly or AI to tell us.

leon

lol i wonder why he left? he seen that circus coming and didin't want his name all over it either im suprised seacrest is still going to be the host wth does nicki minaj know about music to be a judge on idol ? she got butt implants and listen to her songs without background music its disgusting all gimicks

Gloria Freeman

That's it for me, I am a senior citizen probably one of few who really watch new talent, but with Randy Jackson gone, so am I. No more A.I. for me.