« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Olympic Champ Tyler Clary

Declines White House Invite

... I'd Rather Race Cars

9/12/2012 12:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0911_tyler-clary_gettyOlympic gold medalist Tyler Clary -- the guy who smashed Ryan Lochte's backstroke record -- turned down an invite to chill with President Obama at the White House ... all so he can race stock cars instead.

If you didn't know ... POTUS and the First Lady invited all the 2012 Olympic athletes to the White House for a special get together on September 14th ... the shin-dig includes time with the president ... a VIP reception ... the works.

But sources tell TMZ ... the swimmer has dreams of being a pro race car driver after his swimming career ends ... he's opting to be in Fontana, CA instead to test drive cars for a few days and then hit up the MAVTV 500 IndyCar event on September 15.

We're told Clary is serious about his future racing career ... he's already been courted by several IndyCar and NASCAR teams and sponsors since returning from London.

0911_tyler-clary_sub
225 mph or rub elbows with the most powerful guy on the planet ... tough call?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

What You Really Want To See

Obama should invite Clint Eastwood. It sounds like there will be a spare empty chair to talk to...

Josh

This president is the most destructive and divisive thing to ever hit America. Four more years and America's great history will be wiped out beyond return. Welcome socialism, goodbye everything America was founded on.

john

I got the invite as well....
BMAYC was hand written in the space below Barack and Michelle's signatures....

I finally found out that BYAYC meant on the internet....
Bring
Me
All
Your
Cash

cherry

Thank you Jesus, now I don't have to look at his annoying ugly ass, if the rest of the US male swim team shows up.

Ashley

What an idiot!
Leave your feeling at the door
And show respect to the office
Ones in a life time deal.
white males are so emotional
Omg!

Bridget

Not a smart move. Whether you like him or not, or have something else to do, he is the President of the United States of America. If you're given the opportunity to meet the prez, you should do it. I almost had a chance to meet Bush (who I couldn't stand) that eventually fell through. But when it looked like it could happen, I was all for it. It's the fricken president. But whatever, it's his choice. I think he will regret his decision though.

Josh

I'd rather slam my pecker in the car door rather than spend two minutes with this loser of a president! Divide, Lie and Conquer, that is Obama's style. Most dishonest man ever to enter the oval office.

Micah

Nope, not a tough call at all. Race cars all the way.

pak1

I sincerely hope he crashes and gets burned alive ****sucker

TheEric

I'd rather not have a NASCAR fan meet the president, so I'm totally cool with his decision...

manbearpig

i don't blame him. what is the point? meet up with some professional liar who just wants to be seen with people who have actually been successful in their lives besides blowing smoke up the nation's ass?
no thanks.

manbearpig

sure are a bunch of angry liberals on here today.

Phishie from Philly

Good for him but he really should have went even if he don't like Obama. That's not very American or patriotic.
Phishie from Philly

who dat

He's gonna be the ex-president soon. I'm sure he'll see him around.

Rocco

He must be another Republican putting himself ahead of country.

LOSER