« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Steve Sabol

'NFL Films' Founder

Dead at 69

9/18/2012 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0918_steve_sabol_Dead_dies_article
Steve Sabol -- one of the founding members of "NFL Films" -- passed away this morning after battling brain cancer. He was 69.

Steve had suffered a seizure in March 2011. Doctors discovered an unremovable tumor in his brain ... and he had been receiving treatment ever since.

Sabol co-founded NFL Films in the '60s with his father, Ed Sabol ... and together they revolutionized the way football fans watched the game ... with slow dramatic montages, compelling music and candid player soundbites from the field and the sidelines.

Under Steve's leadership, NFL Films produced several iconic shows ... including, "Hard Knocks," "NFL Films Presents" and "Football Follies."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement on Sabol's death ... saying, "Steve’s passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve’s legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Denver

He and his dad were pioneers in filiming football and will be remembered forever "on the frozen tundra of Lambeau field"....

dale12

Godspeed Steve...And thank you for NFL Films, you will be missed.

CriticXtreme

R.I.P.

TheVolleyballGod

I never really paid much attention to this dude, he was a great creator but I always felt his ego was pitifully huge

Miva

My prayers go out to his parents, sister Blair, son Casey and hi loving wife Penny, (pics of all of the here http://slimcelebrity.com/?p=1200)

bjay

I loved every NFL film I've ever seen and never realized they were mainly the work of one man. Just been watching some montages of his work and some of that stuff is still powerful and a joy to see.... Especially the older stuff. RIP.

Huge Richard

I grew up watching "This Week In The NFL" and "NFL Game of the Week" in the 1970s. The Sabols did wonderful things with football highlights and music and it was appointment viewing for me. It's too bad he wasn't inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame along with his dad last year. I'm sure NFL Films will be left in good hands, but it'll never be the same. RIP, Steve!

KP

Steve Sabol set the standard for NFL coverages giving us a ringside seat reviewing the games for almost 2 generations. I am not sure if Steve made any mention of the controversial "immaculate reception"between the Steelers and Raiders in 1972 but that was one play that even he could not resolve for posterity.

Gloria Unread

Thank you, Steve.. You and your father's films are why many young people like me know a lot about football, and why generations to come will be able to watch the legends forever.
I loved his NFL Lost Treasure's series.. and the Sabols are one of those NFL treasures.

girl unimpressed

i'm not a fan of the game of football but i've always been a fan of NFL films. the Sabols knew how to tell a story and put it in historical context. they made football so much more than just a game by bringing forward the interesting and often very dramatic stories of the people involved in it. they were true innovators. i'm glad Steve lived to see his father's entry into the hall of fame, but my heart breaks for a father that has to bury his son. my deepest condolences to the Sabol family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2