Anderson Cooper

Rips Star Jones

Gay Announcement Was No Ratings Ploy

10/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

100412_cooper

Anderson Cooper just BLASTED Star Jones ... claiming the former "View" host was talking out of her lying, irrelevant ass when she claimed Anderson's gay announcement was a ratings ploy.

Cooper was shooting a segment of "Anderson Live" with Bravo bigshot Andy Cohen ... when Cohen asked A.C. if he felt any different after coming out publicly back in July.

That's when Anderson dropped the truth bomb:

"I will say and I actually haven't mentioned this, the only thing that did kind of annoy me and actually it annoyed my mom who brought it up to me, Star Jones of all people."

He continued, "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. I was unaware she was even on TV still ... but she apparently shows up on a morning show."

"Out of the blue Star Jones ... said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."

On the show, which airs today, Cooper says Jones couldn't have been more wrong -- 'cause he was on assignment in Africa when he decided to quietly make the announcement in an email to a journalist friend, who posted the letter online.

"If I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on 'A Very Special Episode' that would have been promo'd for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials ... 'Anderson's Huge Announcement.'"

"As memory serves, in terms of boosting ratings, I seem to recall [Star] hocking her wedding every single day to get free products when she was on 'The View' and I seem to recall her lying about her gastric bypass surgery and making everybody else lie about it as well. So for her to suddenly emerge out of the shadows and suddenly attack me for this, I couldn't believe it."

Cooper says he invited Star to his show to discuss her comments, but she turned him down.

"I would think she would want as much publicity as possible given her penchant for wanting publicity."

Snap.

hmpf

Anderson comes across as a man of integrity...a word not often seen in print. Star Jones is a joke of a human being. When she lost the weight she lost her mind as well. She was good, not great, on court tv...but when she took a drink from the pond of celebrity, she became a horrid creature

Laura

I very much admire Anderson Cooper, for many reasons. As for Star--she is so irrelevant--not worth mentioning, Coop.

ChuckA41

Didn't everyone already know he was gay? I was surprised that there was an annou cement. Like the guy from Big Bang Theory.

Deadpool23

WOW Anderson just PWNED Star Jones.

Reggie4Now

Dont mess with Anderson he will snap your shiat up!

queen love

Cooper wanted to talk about Al Reynolds, but Cohen stopped him. Two gurlfriendz gossiping about the big fat black woman. "two snaps up"

CoconutScrimp

Anderson, girl, who you kidding? Of course you came out for ratings!

Rude Boy

Handle your business, Mr. Cooper. ;)

Star Jones is one of those "Why is she famous?" folks who needed her own name put out there at A.C.'s expense to try and get in the limelight once again. Diddy was right whenh said "Fame is a drug". Get help, Ms. Jones.

Nvts

So gay

justagirl

Well said, Anderson. Watching you and Andy together might put a bug in some producers ear about the two of you collaborating on a project in the future.

The Maharincess of Franistan

Anderson is RIGHT too!

When Star said that, I thought it was both stupid and inappropriate. And not for nothing, NOBODY really cares OR follows what Star Jones says.

This is why she has to settle for whatever scraps she can get in the business because she'll NEVER have her own talk show again after failing so miserably when she had the CourtTV show.

At least she's keeping her mouth shut now. Somebody must've told her how badly she came off.

NOBODY comes out of the closet for ratings -- they might set themselves on fire, jump out of an airplane, get plastic surgery -- but not that.

Dino

I hope one day heterosexuals won't be talking about someone just for being gay. Enough with this already black or white, gay or straight so what!

Nicole

Anderson Cooper has too much integrity to do something like that for ratings. Star Jones, on the other hand, has NO integrity and is officially a terrible person. 'Nuff said.

ack9999

Touche, Star Jones! A.C. does make some good points about you!!

Gretel

I just love me some Anderson Cooper. The one thing he left out was that she also neglected to mention that her husband was gay. Team Anderson.