Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

Rocco

You can take the boy out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the boy.

Julie

I would offer to pay my parents bills off....but only because they would never dream of asking me to. Anything short of that is just tasteless and tacky.

I'm a southern girl, so I personally would feel a certain obligation to take care of my family, since they took care of me, but it would not be a forced or unwelcome situation.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Apparently the business was going belly up or was just plain mismanaged. Why should he throw good money after bad? I don't blame him. If he starts throwing good money after bad the only thing that is going to do is make him a fool. Keep your money kid, you're going to need it one day.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Here's another thought: I took good care of my kids with their education and teaching them responsibility and trying to keep them at the same level as their run-of-the-mill middle class peers. When they were in their teens I expected them to find jobs so they could get all that extra stuff on their own. As long as they had jobs, and as long as they put some of their paycheck into savings they were welcome to enjoy the food, shelter, and clothing I provided. I pray there is never a day that I have to ask them for help; I would rather bag groceries for extra income. I was careful with my income and taught them to make their own. If I failed because I pissed my money away why would that be their problem?

Lurker

If I were him, I would stay far, far, away too. Sounds like they are the ones taking advantage of him, not the other way around. I would never depend on my children to bail me out or financially support me. They are responsible for their bad business decisions, not him, and he shouldn't feel guilty because they probably assumed that they would cash in on their cash cow. He is the one who earned his money not them. If he borowed money from them, now he has the funds to pay them back, otherwise he doesn't owe them a dime. His parents should go on vacation with Dina and Daddy Lawhon!!

Mary

Do your research TMZ. They've been talking about selling since he won Idol. http://popcrush.com/phillip-phillips-family-sell-pawn-shop-idol/

really! really?

Bull Snot! TMZ, please pull out the pics of this family's pawn shop when Phillips was on A.I. Remember when they were robbed and you posted the story? There was a FOR SALE sign on the business way back then.

wendy

my son is 21, therefore I'm an adult, If my son becomes very well to do I will not go to him with my problems, and more importantly I will not go to the media and smear his name around like a child. it would be unfair to my son.

wingedmonkey

well when his career turns to "chit" he'll be wishing he had helped his family so he could have a job!!

Truth

LOOK, DUDE IS PROLLY BROKE ASS BY NOW ANYWAY.. THAT'S THE REAL REASON HE AINT HELPING OUT THE FAM. PEOPLE FORGET THE GOVT TAKE 50% TAXES OFF WINNINGS WHICH BASICALLY LEAVES NOTHING. THE KID THEN SPENT THE REST. WHO IS HE ANYWAYS?? GOOFY TWEENER IS A HAS-BEEN ALREADY. THE STAR OF REALITY SHOWS IS THE SHOW ITSELF. THE NETWORK AND PRODUCERS MAKE ALL THE REAL PAPER. EVERY1 ELSE JUST HAS THE LAME 15 MIN OF FAME. #TRUTH!!

Fuck Celebrities

Pops should learn how to run a business.

Dave

They spent the business money flying around and acting like big shots and now they want their child to reimburse them? They should have been home taking care of their own business. Now to slander him because he won is really pitiful.

LISA

I know nothing about this guy, but isn't it sad how everyone suddenly expects a hand out when someone in the family comes into a bit of money?

If they managed without his help for 24 years, why is he suddenly responsible for the family business? It's not like he won the powerball lottery!

Swinson

Come on. Are they the lohans? Maybe if you run a family business into the ground like that, a well established one, you should work for someone else

iphone5