Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

HateGossip

I think TMZ.com should take some responsibility in providing proof for their 'facts'. Can you please share your sources and supporting evidence for the claims you are making here?

Symian

I call shena****ns on this. Back when the guy won Idol his parents put their pawn shop up for sale almost immediately hoping for a quick and pricey sale due to their son's fame. TMZ reported on the pawn shop being for sale because the family wanted to move their business to a better area. I guess the plan didn't work out.

Family business? I've heard term that bandied about a lot during my life. In reality it means nothing unless all persons in that immediate family have a legal percentage. Just because the parents own the business and let their kids work there (or make them work there for free or on the cheap) doesn't make it a "family business."

ellen

I happen to live close to this family. This is all bull****!. First of all they did NOT spend "tons of money" traveling to see him. There were numerous benefits raising money for the family to be able to travel. There was plenty donated +some. Does it make since that a business that is 24 yrs old would go under because you son won American Idol? NO NO NO. Phil did work in the pawn shop while his father worked at a local Marine base. TMZ really should do more fact checking.

Too whom it may concern

His dad is a thief, he uses his pawn shop to take advantage of people and their money. I am a victim of his greediness. I paid nearly 200.00 and I never recieved my item. I contacted him and asked for my money back, he then replied rudely, No Refund, Get a Lawyer. He has my money and the item I purchased. He was a nasty jerk and you better believe i got my lawyer and I WILL get my money back... If his dad treated Phillip the way he treats his customers, no wonder Phillip left. If you ask me, CARMA's a B!*#$.

Too whom it may concern

His dad is a thief, he uses his pawn shop to take advantage of people and their money. I was a victim of his Greediness. I paid nearly 200.00 and never received my item. I contacted him and asked for my money back and he then replied rudely, No refund, Get a Lawyer. He has my money and the item I purchased. He was a nasty jerk and you better believe i got my lawyer and i WILL get my money back. If his dad treated Phillip the way he treats his customers, no wonder phillip left. If you ask me CARMA's a B!*#$.

Too whom it may concern

His dad is a thief, he uses his pawn shop to take advantage of people and their money. I was a victim of his Greed. I paid nearly 200.00 for an item and never recieved it. I contacted him and asked for my money back and he then replied rudely, No refund, Get a Lawyer. He has my money and the item I purchased, you better believe I WILL get my money back.... If his dad treated Phillip the way he treats his customers, no wonder phillip left. If you ask me CARMA's a B!*#$.

Too whom it may concern

Ooops, didn't mean to have multiple posts.

MaryD

There might be something else to th

MaryD

There must be something more to this-- maybe he had a falling out with his family, maybe they are really bad with money so it would just be throwing the money away, maybe they're trying to leech off of him. I know that if I made it big & my parents needed help, I'd do it in a heartbeat. At the same time, I know my parents would never ever expect me to do that for them. A little messed up relying on your kids.

P2Phan

Anyone who watched Phillip during Idol would know that this is not true. The shop was up for sale before Idol. Is this the same website that said Micheal Jackson had a baby?

P2Phan

Cody

T

None of this is true. I live in same town as he does and know some of his family. TMZ is lying, plain and simple. You people making these ignorant comments should be ashamed of yourselves. Why do you believe these kind of stories?

Kristen

First of all, I don't think you get enough money to cover a 250k debt just for winning. second, it seems suspect when his sisters, brother in law and nieces have all been around in the past weeks. If this were true you'd think they'd be pretty scarce. and last, really like he's responsible for his entire family now? thought they planned to sell it to move to LA according to TMZ a few months ago. CONSIDER THE SOURCE people. TMZ, nuff said.

rikki

Well how much money does he have after taxes and all the other expenses that go hand and hand with being famous?

Maybe hes mad at them for giving him a stupid name...